Bought a shock collar for my jack russell but even on the lowest setting the dog yelps 2 or 3 times, is this normal. Am I being cruel.

He barks at EVERYTHING in the house, the baby and I can only take so much barking!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pets

• he probably will until he is used to it. maybe you should try to send him to obidience school
    Anonymous

• IMO shock collars should be used only for large dogs if necessary. Jack russels are barkers, that is what they are known for. That and jumping. I think the dog is too small for a shock collar and obedience school is definitely a much better route to go.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I dont know how you do it (shocking part) that would kill me to do that to poor dog. This might sound crazy but if your husband would or one of his friends try out the collar- I mean on your hand to see how strong the shock is. If it were my dog you can bet ya I would shock myself.
    Good Luck.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Jack Russels are barkers by nature. I'm not sure the shock collar is going to solve the problem. He might be yelping because he is annoyed with it. I agree with the first poster and try sending him Obedience School.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• he`s obedient in every other way except the barking. I`ve even tried to use the dog whisperer`s techniques but at 10yrs old, NOTHING stops hom, NOTHING!
    Anonymous

• I hate dogs... but i think this is cruel. No offense. If hes too much trouble then give him a new home. I wud want my dog to bark if he hears something. Little dogs are always barkers and nervous. Hes gonna stop barking.. keep shocking em in to a depression. He will shut up! (GEEZ)
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yah I didnt think about this until I just read last post. If you keep shocking the dog he could turn on you or BB and bite. Becareful. Sorry to post again.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Dogs bark, thats what they do...should have though of that before you go the dog
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 10:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• if you got it strickly for barking you should hace got a cintrenella(sp?) spray collar..i also think shock collars are for big dogs
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i don't see how it will help him. i got for my dog as the city kept coming out ready to give me a fine cause my neighbor worked nights. so i would bring the dog in but if i was gone my dog would let it out even after i told him not too. i couldn't or wouldn't pay a $2500 fine. so i tried a bark collar first seriously it didn't help. it was a waste of money. i don't think it's going to help your dog either. cesar is good but try watching it's me or the dog. she has an episode on a dog barking and how she trained it. basiclly you get the dog to bark and ask it to stop by using hand signals and your voice. ask it to speak and when it does pull your hands apart from each other and say stop. good luck. i had to rehome my dog. i really miss him. if only i knew i would of bought a house in 3 months like ended up happening. i would of just waited it out.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009