Has anyone ever walked a cat on a leash before?

not an outdoor cat. Now that summer is here would like to take her outside once without the fear of her running away. She would probably stay close to me. Got out once and found her in a nearby shrubbery.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Not a good idea, honestly. If she's an indoor cat, and you want to keep her that way, don't encourage adventures in the outdoors. If you do walk her on a leash, she'll be more likely to want out all the time.

I have walked a cat on a leash, because she was originally an outdoor cat who was surrendered to the local animal shelter where I worked. She was always dashing out the door, and then running around the cars so I couldn't catch her. We got a harness and would take her out on it when we went out on breaks. She was much happier, and loved the harness after the first few trips. She could not be an indoor cat though, because she was always going for the door.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• what my nana used to do with her cat was tie a leash to the clothes line, the other end to the collar and he was fine. he was a siamese cat, so wasnt eager to go to far, but enjoyed the exercise and fresh air! i attempted putting a special cat leash on my cat so he could go outside but he found a way to get out of it and he ran to the neighbors yard, luckily Icaught him because he wasnt used to the new part of town.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree with biksetliss....although I did use a leash on a stray that i found and we still have her 10 years later....anyway, if you do use a leash make SURE you use a harness....they will slip right out of a collar...but just be careful b/c it will make her want to go out more. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Ive tried. The cat just shrinks down and doesnt feel like moving.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• my cousin tried with her indoor cat and he froze like a stone and fell onto his side lol so she hasnt tried since but ihave heard of it before
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i used to work at a vet when i was 15-16 and my responsibilites was to walk and feed the animals and what not...and there was one cat that boarded there quite often and i used to have to walk it..oh my god i thought it was hilarious..i had never heard of that before...then a few years later an old man moved in down the street and i would see him walking his cat down the street all the time, i thought it was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!! so no, i dont recommend walking your cat..unless you wanna mae made fun of or laughed at behind your back..lol..jk..but seriously it is pretty funny to see someone walking their cat
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• ours just fell over in disgust LOL
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 7:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2009