I can't get my son to use the potty for anything! He screams, yells, throws fits if I even metion it what should I do?

ANJackson

Asked by ANJackson at 10:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son did the same and I just stopped pushing the subject and waited a while. He is stubborn and if he doesn't wanna do it, he is not going to! lol, give him time, he might not be ready :)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• what age is he? maybe he's not ready yet. I just trained my son and it was not difficult at all. Maybe try and see what is bothering him about the potty. Is he attesting because he is afraid of it? or is he going through a power struggle with you? Is he angry at you for some reason and is acting out by refusing to go on the potty? figure out whats going on with him before you try the potty. Its more important to protect your relationship with him rather than make him go on the potty (which you can't do btw).
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Have you tried the potty training videos like Go Potty Go and the one by Elmo? How about reading him storybooks about kids using the potty - Once Upon a Potty is a classic, so is Everyone Poops.
    I'd try just letting watch a video or two and read him a story once a day for a while. See if his interest picks up on it's own. Most are available at libraries.

Another good trick is to let him watch an older kid that he really looks up to. Of course the older kid needs to be willing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• When my son was little we didn't have videos like you do now, so we had to be creative. My oldest son wouldn't potty train for the longest time. Then I made a game of it. Get him a step stool and make sure its wide enough so he feels comfortable and secure(not afraid of falling). Then try putting some cherrio's in the water in the toilet bowl. Tell your son to try and hit the cereal while he's going. This worked for the urinating part of training my son, but the pooh part was a little different. I had to set my son on the toilet backwards so he was facing the tank, then I would put a real gold fish in the toilet tank for him to watch while he sit there. This worked very well. My son is now almost 23 years old.

Good Luck.

Sherri
    Twintrapbreak

Answer by Twintrapbreak at 11:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• DON'T MAKE IT A PUNISHMENT!!! Tell him if he doesn't like he doesn't have to use it let it be his choice. However set up a reward system with using whatever he likes the most as a reward if he uses the potty. Never punish him for not using the potty or reward him when he does.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Sherri, You put a gold fish inside the toilet bowl wouldn't the water be colder for it?? just curious.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2009