Does breastfeeding define you?

I always thought it was all very normal, you do it or you don't. It's nothing special, so why do people talk about it so much on here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because it does "define" many women. I did breastfeed and it didn't define me and I didn't breastfeed in public either. Some people can figure out which it is. If it gives a closer "bonding" experience, why would they do it in public? The ones that want to let it all hang out in public claim "it's no different than bottle feeding". There are too many uneducated breastfeeders out there that think breastfeeding is a free for all. Eating, drinking and taking any medications and breastfeeding is better than formula feeding, and that's not the truth. I breastfed for two months and what is best for MY baby isn't breast it's soy formula. :)

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Because some people take things way too personal on here...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It doesn't define me. It is one of 1,000 things I've done for my son. I'm glad I do it, I would recommend it to anyone. I would help anyone who wanted to do in any way I could.

However, I do not think breastfeeding makes me a better mom than anyone who didn't.  I don't think the reasons other moms choose not to breastfeed are any of my business.  Even if I don't agree with the choice to formula feed, until I've been in the exact same situation as any given formula feeding mom I can't say I wouldn't end up using formula too.

I dont' have to agree with another person's choices in order to respect the fact it's thier choice to make.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Because it's a controversial subject.... Those who breastfeed understand the importance and significance of breastfeeding and those who do not breastfeed get defensive because they do not either understand breastfeeding and its appeal or they feel as though a woman is wrong for breastfeeding past a certain age oooooooooooooor they feel like because they did not breastfeed they are being judged etc.......
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• EVERYTHING you do becomes part of your self definition.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm adopted, so I was never breast fed. I'm kind of disappointed about it now, but knowing the circumstances (birth mother was 17, my parents were there when I was born, etc), I understand. I do plan on breast feeding my baby, but it's not like I'm going to flaunt it. And I will do it in public, but I'll make sure I'm covered up; there are enough perverts out there!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2009