can you grow tomatos in plastic milk bottles?

I have a lot of plastic milk juges and I am wanting to plant some tomatos and okra. I am new to this planting and if anyone can help please message me. I am on a budget and wanting to eat healthier but cant afford it so maybe I can plant.

pixxydust

Asked by pixxydust at 10:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes. tomatoes will grow in almost anything!
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yes, you can. Cut a couple drain slits in the bottom, cut off the top above the handle. Use potting soil. (Pots need a different kind of soil then ground plants.) I would use starts as it is too late to plant seeds here. Check out what zone you are in.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If you are growing tomatoes in pots be sure to check the soil moisture DAILY
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 11:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would think he container would be to small. I had a tomato plant last year and it grow about four feet tall.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It would make for a small plant since the roots wouldn't have alot of space to grow. In our small town, we have alot of old oak and pecan trees that make for too much shade. I saw one house that had tom. and cukes growing in brown boxes in the driveway!! I saw veg. growing on the vines perfectly. This was the only sunshine they had (in the driveway) and I'm supposing their only resources, but hey, they had food growing! So more power to them!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes sister you can. You just need to keep them watered about once a week but don't put more than one plant per container.
    jandhmomma

Answer by jandhmomma at 2:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009