Im starting a business can child support take my money from my company?

What is the limit on child support i have 5 by him she only has one.

lilmama29113

Asked by lilmama29113 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• too any body who answer my question. Im not saying he should not pay. But her income greatly bigger then ours put togethere. I have 5 kids too rasie and can not afford too help with a high child support pament. her payments leave us broke i can not hardly afford things for my kids. THATS NOT RIGHT. I NEED TOO PROTECT MY INVESTMENT FOR MY KIDS CAN HAVE A FUTURE TOO.
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• No. It's his child not yours.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• As long as his name isn't on the account, no.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Depending on how you set the business up and what state you are in. If you are married and you set your business up as a sole proprietorship then it is likely yes they can take the money if you live in a community state like California. If you are married you both are responsible.

I would suggest you check with your state on the community property laws.

You can set your business up as a corporation and then you can be legally protected but again I would check with your state.

How many kids does not matter! One child matters! On the personal side I believe that anyone who has children and is not paying for thier child support is doing a dis-service to the child. Whether the parents like each other or not! The child is a gift and should be paid as such. I am not saying it is always easy for people to pay child support however I am saying the child deserves it.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• LegacyKimberley is right. If it's a corporation they can't. If it's a proprietorship they can. A proprietorship is basically where you are the business. A corporation is where your personal finances are 100% separate from the company. They are taxed differently and they also have different liabilities.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2009