Am I being unfair?

So my mother is upset with me because I asked her if she was going to my daughters dance class. Right now my nephew has an activity 3 days a week- Tuesday evening and Saturday morning, and they watch him on Thursdays. My daughter is just stating dance this Saturday morning (they also occasionally watch her one night a week for 3 hours) I asked if they were coming and she got upset because I scheduled something during a time that they would be with my nephew. The dance studio had two times open for a 2.5 yr old one was when I work during the day, and the other Saturday morning. SO I didn't have a choice. Am I wrong for being upset that she can't miss one baseball game a week so see my daughter dance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think its wrong, but on the other hand its not a recital. Its a class. She isn't going to his practice, she is going to his game. Now, if she had chosen his practice over her recital, then yes, you would be 100% right.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• honey don't worry about her missing dance class. they will prob have a show of some sort at the end of the classes and she can come to that. believe me as a former dance teacher your daughter will do better with less people watching. in fact we used to ask some moms to step ou t in the hall cause the kids would watch mommy more than us. most dance studios don't have room for watching the lessons. much. I think we had about 10 chairs in the room and a hall way full for parents to wait but sometimes it was still standing room only
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• jealous sister alert! try to have lass I and more U.Maybe you can make friends their easier without mom try and broaden yourself with more people. Be Forgiving and they will start to miss your kids!!!
    Anonymous

• you're not wrong for being upset. id be flat out PISSED if that was my family and my son who they were skipping over. i think you are right.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Ditto what Lyndall said... my DD isn't in dance class but she takes Gymnastics. At the end of each nine week session they do a routine for parents/grandparents to come see.

During the weekly classes, they ask for the parents to stay outside the gym because having too many people in there makes some of the girls feel nervous and it distracts other girls (especially when there are siblings in tow)

So no, I don't think you should be upset about her missing the practice classes... when she does her first recital I'd be more inclined to ask family members to come watch her.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think your mom was being unfair when she got upset. I also however don't think you should be upset, if this is something they have been doing with your nephew for a while and it is something he enjoys and expects then why should they suddenly stop and go to your DD's. I understand that it was the only time frame you could get, but they did already have plans for that time frame, so it is a little unfair of you to expect them to change it. She will have plenty of recitals for them to enjoy, and she most likely won't otice if they aren't there, unless you make it a big deal. Otherwise she will just have fun making new friends and learning to dance.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009