How to get my 2 1/2 year daughter to sleep threw the night.HELP!!!

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and when she was born i was the kind of mom to say ohh i want my daughter to be next to me all the time. She would fall asleep in our bed when she got older.Well now i am kicking myself because now she wont fall asleep anywhere but our bed.My boyfriend and I dont have any alone time. And if she does go into her bed then she is up at 4 in the morning and comes into our bed.She wont stay in her own bed.She wont go to bed until like 2 in the morning and she takes naps during the day.She will fall asleep at about 1pm and she will sleep for about 2 hours.SHe is up the rest of the day until like 2am.So my question is how to get her to sleep threw the entire night and how to get her to sleep in her own bed?PLease do not judge me i know some think that i am a bad mom for letting this go on for so long but i am running out of patience with all this and so is my boyfriend.PLease Help!!! Thank you.

CONFUSED08965

Asked by CONFUSED08965 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• make a bedtime routine, give her a bath, read her a book, give her a kiss and say goodnight. yeah, she'll cry, but let her. if she goes to bed just fine, when she wakes up in the middle of the night or whenever, don't let her in your room, let her cry. put a lock on her door if you have too. one of those locks that go over the handle. my son has had one since he's learned how to open doors. this is why i tell people not to co-sleep. shoulda done this earlier mom, sorry you had to learn the hard way.
    Anonymous

• I had kind of the same prob except my son doesnt stay up until 2 in the morning thankfully unless he takes a late nap. What we did was started by bring the toodler bed in our room at the foot of the bed and made him sleep in it we would let him watch a movie on the computer until he fell asleep. After about 2 maybe 3 wks we put his bed back in his room and he now sleeps in there with the a movie on. It might not be the best way but it def worked with us. If he ever gets up in the middle of the night I take him back to his bed and he usually goes back to sleep. Hope this gives you some help.
    mommy806209

Answer by mommy806209 at 1:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Your not a bad mom for keeping your daughter close, that makes you a great mom! Our culture puts way too much pressure on children to grow up and become independent long before their ready. Your daughter will sleep in her own bed, all night long when she's ready. There's no need to pressure her or feel like you messed up. It's completely normal for children her age to want and need to be close to their parents.

Can you and your SO have "alone time" after she goes to bed somewhere besides the bedroom like the living room, or shower? It's very possible to have a romantic relationship outside of the bedroom.

Letting your daughter wean herself from sleeping in your bed and letting her ease herself into sleeping all night is a very healthy way of parenting. Studies have shown that attachment parenting makes for very independent and confident individuals later in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son is 25 months and while he still sleeps with us(by OUR choice), we did use a book called the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizebeth Pantley when he was 21 months to teach him to sleep through the night. It took about a week and he didn't cry at all. He was waking 4 times a night to nurse at that point. The book has suggestions for any sleep problem you may have including getting baby out of your bed and getting her to sleep at a hour that suits you.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 26, 2009