Beauty help for a 30-something on a very tight budget?

As I am getting older and starting to see the beginnings of wrinkles I just want to do something! I have never used creams or anything. I am only 32 and I feel like I look in my 40's (no offense!). My DH says I'm beautiful but I don't feel it.

I have a little acne (jawline and some on my cheeks) which is only made worse by the use of makeup (trust me, I've tried everything: Revlon, Covergirl, Almay and even the minerals stuff, Avon was th ebest but a bit pricey for now). I tried Pro-Active, that didn't to a thing and getting rid of the membership was a pain in the butt. I also have super-sensitive skin and CANNOT use anything by Dove.

Anyway, I want to try a moisturizer or something but have no idea where to look and what to even use. I am also on a VERY tight budget. I have about $15 a month for all make or moisturizers. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I swear by noxema! I have used it all my life, tried the neutragena bar and dried out my skin, tried a generic store brand of noxema broke out like a teenager before a period LOL best bet is noxema(IMO). It moisturizes but doesn't leave a greasy feeling on my face, and my skin looks younger too. I've even had people say I don't look as old as i say i am(not bragging, just fact-stating here like a forum-infomercial LOL) or that i actually am the mom of 7 kids! LOLLLL

So give the noxema a try and see if that works. :) Also it's best not to mix different lines of makeup, if you use covergirl blush you should use covergirl foundation, avon eyecolor avon mascara etc....that's just a side note here. I'm sure you tried all those at different times. You may want to also wait a week before trying a new skin product after "chucking' the old one. just a thought.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Have you tried homeopathy for the acne?
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OP, I have tried tea tree oil but that's it. It didn't help. I've also been drinking more water and it seems to have gotten worse.
    Anonymous

• Homemade Acne Treatment with orange peel has been found very effective. Pound the orange peel with water on a piece stone and apply on acne affected areas.

A simple remedy at home for acne: Apply lemon juice regularly to reduce pimples and acne. This has proven beneficial results

sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• We started using Ponds as my grandmother used it every day for years and when she passed away she had virtually no wrinkles and soft soft skin. It works. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Also, it can be caused by your diet. Try eating more fruits..less fatty foods.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• As for mosterizure, I used something from our natural health food store, but I used to use Almay and really liked it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I use..Neutragena acne wash once at night and when I get out of the shower I dry my face and I moisturize with Olay complete. Do this every night and I have never had bad acne! Im 21. Also...throw out all those makeups they are clogging your pores and making it worse. I tried it all and what has done WONDERS for my face is Bare Minerals I got it at Saphora...it is a little pricey but is is beautiful and helps your face rejuvenate!!! I spent $60 on the pack it in it was two foundation colors, a bronzer, a mineral veil and three brushes! You can look at it at Saphora.com. Also...LOTS of water daily and btw the bare minerals has spf in it!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I like neutrogena acne stress, not the face wash but the other stuff (I'm too lazy to get up and look), anyway, it makes my skin soft, and it was the only thing I found that kept me from breaking out. I am not too sure if it helps with the wrinkles, but it does have salycic acid. it does allow me to then use a moisturizer without breaking out though, so that is good.
    Anonymous

• I'm the OP
    sarapurser, thanks for the lemon juice idea. I'll try that first (as I know that is really cheap lol).

Thanks for all the ideas! Now I can go to the store with some ideas. I haven't tried the Olay before or the Ponds. Neutragena I have tried something by them, but I can't remember what. I'd have to look. Bare Minerals is well out of my price range at the moment, but I do have a birthday coming up and my MIL has been asking what I want so I will definitely keep that in mind! lol

I will talk to my doctor about my diet a bit more. I am on a strict diet right now to gain weight (I have been sick for a year and lost way too much weight, but the acne I've had since I was a teenager... the wrinkles are a new addition though that are just reminding me I am getting older). lol
    Anonymous