If the post had read....

"I believe in God. I am religious. My inlaws are so-called-Buddhists, yet the biggest hypocritical, racist, snobby a--holes I know.

So my MIL decides to start buying my 3-1/2 year old son videos to watch, cartoons and crap. Anyhow, the first one was this Lotustales one. I always thought Lotustales seemed cool even though I really hadn't watched them before. So I'm sitting here working and he's watching this Lotustales movie and all of a sudden I here crap about meditating and follow the Buddha and shit?!!? Then she got him another one which was waaaayyy sappier and like Buddha this, Buddha that, I got Buddha and all that shit. It pisses me off that she does this! And my son freaking loves these videos, but he knows nothing about "so-called-Buddha." Would you be mad? It's not her place in my opinion!"

... would those who said "What's the harm?" "Let him choose!" "What are you afraid of?" etc have responded differently?

Laura1229

Asked by Laura1229 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I would not care. If you do not believe in Buddha anyways, how is that movie any different than Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh? Just explain 'Buddha' is fake or tell them whatever you tell them when they ask about other fictional characters
    Anonymous

• Tell him that Budda was a wise man that lived long ago in China?? (Not sure where). I agree with the others. If YOU train him up he will know what he needs.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• This is in reference to another question on the 2nd page of this religion section, I think. Titled "Would this not totally piss you off?" or something like that...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I didnt see the first post so I must have missed something. Anyway, based on this post I would be annoyed. I'd probably put the movies away and teach him the things I wanted him to know. Obviously at some point he is going to have to know about Buddha because thats what his grandparents believe and you cant keep him in a bubble. But, I think you and your DH should be the ones to decide when the time is right, not them.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Actually I did answer that question using a different scenario. I came to the conclusion that I would let my son watch a movie a witchcraft because I have several times. Buddha is a real person, so yea I would let him watch it. I watch stuff on TV all the time that is not teaching my religion.

The child is 3 1/2 for crying out loud, it is not like she gave him a demonic book of evil sacrifices. Oh, the golden compass that was supose to be taboo for Christians, I sat down with my son and watched the movie and I took them to the movies to see Harry Potter. So I will stick to my same answer.
    Anonymous

• Yes I can see why you are mad. I would be lying if I said it wouldn't bother me. Have you talked to her about it?

I love the story of Buddha.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would be so angry!!! She is teaching your child terrible satanic things. You are right for being upset.
    kelly02

Answer by kelly02 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't get it . I honestly thought you were studying Buddhism. Pardon my assumption, My bad. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Oh never mind...I just got it....DOH
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2009