Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I make my animal control listen?

The head animal control lady is waste. Their are so many dogs running lose in my neighborhood and this lady does nothing to help. A few times a child was almost attacked. We have all called to get this dog problem taken care of, but the lady just tells us there isn't any thing she can do about it.
Who would I call that is over this dumb lady's head? What else can I do to get these dogs under control?


Asked by lighthouse98 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pets

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • I would contact local government Katie , your local representative , or your town mayor , someone at city hall should know who is over the animal control peoples heads. Also try the health department , hell tell them you think the dogs have a contagen or something to get them to pay attention.Try to get video or pics of the dogs running loose. I had to do that when my neighbor was letting his Pit Bulls run loose , because people kept saying they were my dogs. I got photos of them running loose and proved that it wasnt my animals, in your case it will prove there really is a problem. Try getting other neighbors to write up their experiences with the dogs, so there is a written record. Otherwise , you and the neighbors have every right to catch them on your own (using live traps or food etc ) and bring them into the shelter.

    Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 7:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • IDK... but, our animal control is dispatched through our Sheriff's department. Maybe you can call the sheriffs department and ask them if they know who is in charge above her level... Good Luck!!


    Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • You can call non-emergency police and tell them the problem and they will contact animal control themselves and send dispatch out...if there are that many dogs running loose maybe they just don't have the room in the truck.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 12:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Ask specifically for a police officer. Our town's AC officer is worthless too and doesn't usually bother to even show up. When you ask for an officer they're REQUIRED to come out.

    Answer by aurorabunny at 12:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • I would call the police themselves. And then tell the police that animal control refused to come out. If you a ASCPA your call them too.

    Answer by Katie911 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • You can also write a letter to the editor of the paper complaining about the problem. Be short and specific and end with something about how many kids are in your neighborhood. Once that is printed, send it to AC and the police.

    Answer by Indianamom37 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • You can also go to your mayor, or village president ( my small town) They are at the top of all government agency's like that.

    Answer by my4lads at 3:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • shoot them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • My husband used to be a police officer and they would respond personally to calls about loose or aggressive dogs. If animal control is not going to help I would deffinatly call your local police department, and then state police if local doesn't listen either. Just explain the situation especially about the kids almost being attacked! And I would say they are likely to come "take care" of the dog themselves!

    Answer by mrsbvader at 6:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • I've called the cops before and explained every thing to them. They told me they can not take care of the problem unless some one is being attacked. All the cops do is switch me over to the animal control person. But the cops are very nice about it and wish they could have more power when it comes to animal issues.
    I've wrote my local paper. I'm sending it in on Monday. I'm also contacting my mayor on Monday too! My mayor is a nice guy and hates loose dogs as much as I do. I hope we can work together on this issues
    Thanks ladies for all the help!

    Answer by lighthouse98 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009