Garden experts help!! Can I grow a small garden where I live??

I live in cazadero california. Basically a small town between to hills(canyon kinda) A LOT of redwoods and ferns. So not much sun light. especially on my deck. What can I grow? What ideas do you have?
thanks

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 12:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Look into container gardening. Plant in small containers you can move around as the sun moves. Or see if you have a neighbor with a small area you can use.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• hostas grow in the shade and so do violas. Google it too.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 12:25 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• There are also flowering vines that grow in part to full shade...like Climbing Hydrangea, and some varieties of Clematis. Other shade loving plants are Hostas and Begonias.

Since you are limited in space, look to use vertical/wall space, and multi-level container gardens. This is one of my favorite catalog sites for ideas, and free catalogs/emails...I've order many things from them, and everything grows just as they say it will!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Tomatoes can be grown in containers, and like the prev. poster said, you can move the container around to be in the sun. Also, cucumbers are also equally easy to grow in containers. Be sure and use good dirt, water often and if they get any kind of blight or bugs chewing on them, be sure and ask how to care for them. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009