Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm 43 years old and I'm tired of parenting what I mean is I need a vacation but can't afford to go no where,my niece is 24 years old and Autistic and My son is 4 years old going on 100 they're both driving me crazy until I feel like I'm in the crazy house.How does anybody else spend whatever free time you have outside the house since a vacation is not in the cards right now but someday?

Answer Question

Asked by wandaluv at 12:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Can you simply get a babysitter for the day? It sounds like you need to just take a day to yourself. Go get a massage, your nails done, or something to make you feel good.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • A day trip to a state park is really cheap. Bring your own food and have fun.
    Get a baby sitter for a day and act like you are free of all responsibilities.
    Go to the book store for an hour and just relax with a book and cup of your favorite drink.\

    Do you have a SO or DH? They can really help you out and should.

    I saw your other posts and I think if you start to discipline your son and get him more in line, you will have a much less stressful life. The other suggestions are more quick fixes but they won't last. Working on your discipline style will be a life change for the better.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 12:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • wait, i'm confused, you have a 4 year old son, and you're taking care of your neice? why are you taking care of your neice? normally i'd say you got to live your life before you had kids since you have a 4 year old at your age, but the neice has thrown me off...have you been taking care of her the whole time, and why not your brother/sister? anyway, vacation? ha! i laugh at that word...there is no such thing, even if we do take the kids, it's still work. i just remind myself that i can do things when they're out of the house :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • good luck mama

    Answer by _bittersweet at 12:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • I know how you feel. I have 3 kids under the age of 5 and my husband works 6 day/12 housr shifts. My mother, who use to watch my kids, has been in the hospital for 3 months now. I don't get a break either. What I like to do is take a blanket, radio, drinks (water or whatever), books or magazines and I fill up an inflated pool. I make myself a little beach area and just lounge around. My husband takes care of the kids for a couple of hours. It is literally like being away from the house. If no one can watch your family, then bring them out with you. They can play in the water while you lounge around. If you can't beach it up, go to a cafe or a book store. You can sit ther efor hours looking at books or drinking coffee and no one will say anything.

    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Isn't there a day care service for your niece? Call your county services dept and ask what is available to give you a break.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • I hire a baby-sitter called Grandma and take off. It's not that hard to just get away for a little bit. QUIT WHINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If a single mom with an almost 4 year old can go to a dance and actually enjoy herself, then what the hell's stopping you? So, what you have a disabled niece. You took on the responsibility, did you not???? As far as I can see, you're a whine ass and an old fart.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • which is why im totally against ppl having kids after theyre 34-35-36 yrs old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.