Smoking cigarettes is bad for the unborn child so what kind of damage will adhere as the child gets older.I smoked cigarettes the whole nine months 4 years ago and now my son is very hyper but is very smart,is there a chance he'll have trouble paying attention to his teachers when he starts school because my mother was an alcoholic and I too had a learning disability all my life?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 12:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• in the 50s mothers smoked a pack a day and had functioning kids... my mom is one of them
    _bittersweet

Answer by _bittersweet at 12:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Hey i'm not a smoker so I dont know...but haven't they ADDED chemicals to cig's since the 50's? Like i said, I dont know.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• "Smoking during pregnancy can have lifelong effects on your baby's brain. Children of pregnant smokers are especially likely to have learning disorders, behavioral problems, and relatively low IQs. Recent animal studies suggest that nicotine in the womb can program a baby's brain for a future addiction. By the time that baby becomes a teenager, just a few cigarettes could be enough to get him hooked."

There's your answer hun...alot of moms will choose to ignore this or deny it but its research. It is from this site. Cig's have 4,000 chemicals!? I had no idea. That's kinda crazy.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It's probable that your mother's alcoholism affected you, but that isn't something that you can pass on to your child. For the cigarette answer, MamaChamp gave a great answer.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• well mamachamp that i dont know but i do know 1950's cigarettes werent filtered
    _bittersweet

Answer by _bittersweet at 4:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'm not saying smoking is good for a baby, but take it as you will I was told by a genetic person, forgot the name for it, while I was pregnant with dd, that most studies done on smoking and pregnancy were for heavy smokers. That they haven't really studied the effects on fetus's and light smoking. Again not saying it's a good thing, but I smoked throughout my pregnancies, not heavy and less than half a pack a day, and both of my kids are healthy, smart little boogers. My son has ODD, but his father has it as well and his mother has never smoked in her life. My sil is also adhd, again her mother did not smoke, her dad was adhd. My son is hyper, but in school he's a champ. So you never know.
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 5:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My husband's mom smoked and probably drank the entire pregnancy and he functions fine. Don't let him use that as an excuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Here is your answer http://www.expectantmothersguide.com/library/EUSsmoking.htm

Highlights include: increased risk of asthma, increase risk of learning disabilities, more frequent and more severe colds and other illnesses.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Funny...my 5 year old is hyper and has a high IQ. I didn't smoke during my pregnancy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:17 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I smoked during all 3 of my pregnancies and I have 3 very intelligent, well rounded older kids now who dont have health problems. They didnt have ear infections growing up, no learning disablities in fact, they all have extremely high IQ's. My kids are 21, 19 and 17 and never had trouble in school or anything else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2009