Gay adoption

Hey!
I am doing a paper for school (eng 102) and I wanted to just talk to people who have gone through this, or is going through it now? I'm not looking for personal information like names, location or anything. Just wanted to see if you've run into any road blocks, how hard (if it is) the journey is/was.

My email is Army_wifey@live.com
Like I said, I don't want/need any personal information (unless you deem it nessassary)

Thank you !! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Adoption

• I am an adoptive mom in a heterosexual relationship. But I have several friends who are gay and currently adopting. In their particular situations they adopt as a single parent going through the state with the foster/adoption program. The case managers know they are gay, the partner attends all the parenting classes required, but only one can legally be the adoptive parent. I am all for gay rights and equal ability to participate in adoption. But my concern for the child is that in heterosexual couples who enjoy the protection of the institution of marriage - it means if there is a divorce or a death of the legal parent/guardian it means that the biological family of the parent can easily go to court and take custody of the child OR in case of divorce only the legal parent has any rights. That is a concern in the emotional stability of a child b/c life happens. We don't intend to break up from our partners or die.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Good luck on your paper. I am birthmother so I am unable to help ya with what you are looking for.
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I, too, wish you luck, I cannot answer your questions either. There are a few memebers in some of the other groups, whom have relinquished to single gay people/ couples, whom adopted. I it possable for you to post this in other groups...Birthmoms...Pregnant and Considering...Open Adoptions????? tHERE ARE MANY GROUPS THAT WILL BE ABLE TO OFFER INSIGHT INTO YOUR RESEARCH PAPER. I hope you will come back and fill us in on what you have found. Sounds like a very interesting research paper. Good Luck...C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The other thing I see a lot of is parents who are gay parents but not through adoption. Several women I know had children from a previous heterosexual relationship and then those children are now living with their mother and their mother's partner. Who essentially is the othe parent. In most of these situations the fathers are not really in the situation. Both women would consider themselves parents. There are other gay couples who get creative because there are road blocks in adoption. One way is sperm donation so that one is the biological parent. The other is using surrigants for male couples. There are many ways gay couples can choose to pursue. Each have some benefits and some negative aspects in terms of legal issues. I wish I could read your paper. I'm an advocate for gay rights.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2009