My 6 yr olds permanent molars have roots that have dissolved (according to pediatric dentist and more). Anyone have that with their child? Looking for the power of web to help.

Have seen a well known pediatric dentist in Chicago. Have asked other dentists. Dentists have never heard of this "in their whole career". Case is being evaluated at Univ of IL dental school now. No information found during online searches of dental websites.

mysteryteeth

Asked by mysteryteeth at 12:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I used to work for a childrens dentist and I have never heard of it! I'm glad to see you are going to a childrens specialist thought.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I am a dental hygienist and that makes no sense to me. The roots of the primary molars resorb but this does not usually occur until the child is between 9 and 12 years old. I have seen plenty of x-rays where the permanent molors are not fully developed at the root tip. When we see them in an x-ray before the tooth erupts we call them tooth buds.
    Without seeing an x-ray, my educated guess is the pediatric dentist may be referring to the primary (baby) teeth.
    If it is in fact the permanent molars, I'm willing to bet the roots are not fully formed yet.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009