Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help! sick baby...

its 1:00 am... i just checked on my 8 month old who had a low grade temp earlier... he was on fire.. the termom. said 103.2. he is also coughing, has rosy cheeks, and acting like he doesn't feel good... should i try to get him temp down or go to the er now?

Answer Question
 
IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 12:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • If it was me i think i would take him to the ER but thats just me
    DilsMommy

    Answer by DilsMommy at 1:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • How long ago did you give him any medicine? I would try some Tyleonol and see how he does for the next hour or so....If it doesn't go down, or goes up more, I would go.
    christyg

    Answer by christyg at 1:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • I personally would go to the ER. You could give him the ibuprofen and see if it comes down in 30 minutes. If not go directly to the ER.
    Nathskitten

    Answer by Nathskitten at 1:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Has he been sick? Whenever my kids spiked high fevers like that, it was usually an ear infection. They always seemed to have nasty runny noses before one came on, and sometimes even "gunk" in thier eyes.
    BUT, he is still pretty little. Use a cold wet washrag on his forehead and maybe even take him outside (wrapped up depending on how cold) to help cool him down.
    christyg

    Answer by christyg at 1:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Give some tylenol or motrin (motrin usually works better on higher fevers). You'll have to wait an hour though to see if the fever goes down. The fever should go down at least a point. You could also give your baby a warm bath, this really helps a lot. If the fever goes down a point, then wait it out until morning to speak with your pediatrician. I wouldn't go to the ER. My son had a fever of 105 when the medicine would where off and for four days and three very long nights. I took him into the pedi and he ended up just having to ride it out. But in any event, follow your heart.
    KadensMom907

    Answer by KadensMom907 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Doctors expect to be called at all hours of the night, so I would call your pediatrician before you go to the ER. If your doctor isn't on call, somebody at the practice will be. If you don't think that you can wait until morning to call your doctor, go ahead and call him now. Give the baby some medicine now, too.
    evwsquared

    Answer by evwsquared at 1:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Most of what I've read and heard from my pediatrician has said that any temp above 100.3 demands that he should be seen ASAP. Tylenol is good if his tamp os low grade (under 100), but 103 is a serious fever that could cause seriuous and permanent brain damage or other complications if not treated ASAP
    notreally69

    Answer by notreally69 at 4:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • try some motrin first. Also how are you taking his temp? Rectal is accurate. For under the arm, add a degree, for the pacifier one add half of a degree. If it goes above 103.5 or stays at 102.5 or higher for longer than 30 minutes. Take him to the ER.
    xxhazeldovexx

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • otherwise, try a lukewarm bath. You don't want it cold, or hot.
    xxhazeldovexx

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN