Why cant you use sunscreen before 6 months?

Why cant you use sunscreen before 6 months? What does it hurt? I have a 5 month old and have been dying to get outside but dont want her burnt. You cant always find shade, especially if you are walking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ive used it on my 3 month old. Shes fine.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I had NOOOO idea you couldn't use it before 6 months..... OOOPS
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i didnt know:( um OOOOPSY
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• They don't want you mainly putting it on areas that they can stick in their mouths...I have a six month old boy and I put it everywhere on him except his hands...Go out and enjoy the sunshine!
    Mom2beX2

Answer by Mom2beX2 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• The AAP says you can use  it in small amounts but to keep it off their hands and away from their eyes. Here is a link with some good information.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,3q6f,00.html

JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• YOU CAN I USED IT WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS LIKE 2 MONTHS JUST GET THE KIND THAT LOOKS LIKE CHAP STICK CALLED WATER BABIES IT IS NON TOXIC AND WONT RUN OR BURN EYES
    KYLEESMOMMY445

Answer by KYLEESMOMMY445 at 5:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I didn't know you "couldn't" either, until after I had put it on my newborn last summer. She has red hair and very white skin, the year before my little one got burnt on an overcast day and got blisters. I don't take either of them out now without sunscreen! But yeah, I got the waterbabies stuff and I just kept it away from the eyes and mouth. I didn't worry about her hands, but she didn't suck her hands then. She does now, so I will avoid her hands this year even though she's almost a year.
    tiffanyp1980

Answer by tiffanyp1980 at 5:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I forget the technical terms and all that, but it has to do with the consistency of the baby's skin and chemical absorption. It's not that it will hurt, but they absorb the chemicals more and are more likely to have a reaction to it (even to the hypoallergenic stuff)

FYI...even adults can still burn in the shade. Keeping covered with clothing and hats is always the best bet. Oh! They also now sell SPF clothes, tent type things for kids and shade extenders for strollers! Much better than the shade of a tree or building where you're still exposed to the suns rays!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• The reason they tell you to not use it on an infant less then 6 months of age is more to protect the parents from the baby. Most parents aren't aware enough to continously reapply the sunscreen on their baby. So...by suggesting shade and hats...babies are less likely to be sunburned early.
    RoseLAnderson

Answer by RoseLAnderson at 6:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You're really not even suppose to use lotion or soap on your baby before 6 months or older. Its not good for their skin to have contact and exposure to chemicals so early on. I saw that on the show, The Doctors, they were talking about it. But, no one listens to that and I know millions of babies that are fine. Probably only a small few have allergic reactions.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2009