Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it illegal to take your child accross state lines?

My husband has always been emotionally abusive, but tonight he reached a new low--he punched me in the chest twice, threw me against a wall, and choked me, all while I was holding our two year old. Then he yanked her out of my arms. I tried to hold onto her, but then I felt it was like King Solomon and I should let go so she wouldn't get pulled apart. He locked her in her room and kept screaming at me. He told me to get the hell out but hid my keys. I told him I wasn't going anywhere without my little girl. I told him that I should have left him long ago and I really should now. He said it was illegal for me to take her across state lines. I don't think this is true, but wanted to make sure. I tried googling the law but nothing came up. We live in Arkansas, but my family are in other states.


Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (33)
  • This is what you have to do - I know because I did it. You need to find a local shelter. If you feel safe enough, begin gathering the things you'll need to take with you when you leave. In addition to clothing, you'll want things like paperwork - birth certificates, social security cards, etc.
    Once you are safe at a shelter, file an order of protection against him for both you and your daughter.
    Most states require you to establish residency -usually 6 months - before you can file for divorce. A sneaky little thing you can do is begin having your mail sent to a relatives house in the other state before you arrive. You can also have utilities put into your name at a relatives house. On paper it will begin showing residency in that state. Once residency has been established you can file for divorce and custody in that state.
    Do not let on to him what you plan to do and do not believe what he says. PM me if you need help.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • If there is nothing set in court documents there is nothing he can run little lady run!! And do whats right for you and your daughter!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • if you were divorced it would be illegal. since you are still like hell and take her with you!

    Answer by Chandra034 at 1:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Yes you can take her across state lines, until you have a judge telling you that you can't. First thing I would do is go to the police, if you have bruises and look beat up you need to have the police document all of this because it may come in very handy if there is a custody battle. Plus you need to get a restraining order asap, to make sure that bastard stays away from you. Please be careful, I will be praying for you and your child. Good luck

    Answer by Julia0331 at 1:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • It's not illegal, especially in an abusive situation. You should get the hell out of there as fast as you can! If he punched you and knocked you against a wall with your daughter in your arms, there's no telling what he'll do to your daughter in the future!

    I'll be praying for you and your little girl!

    Answer by BabyMommy_3 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • Get the hell out. Get your daughter and leave..even if it's only with the clothes on your back. Run.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • I wouldn't even care if it was legal or not! If you have evidence that he is abusive, then like another poster said, Go to the police! You have to. And then go the hell out of there!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • no it's not illegal because ya'll don't have a custody agreement. So honey go and go now. but like everyone said go to the police and file a report and if there are any marks on you or your daughter have them photographed and be sure to tell them what he did to your daughter so when you do go for custody it might help. I really hope things work out, but please don't stay there anymore if you don't do it for you do it for your daughter. Good Luck

    Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • It is not illegal for you to take your child acrros state lines. The only way this would be an issue is if he has legal custody through prior court preceedings. If not, forget about what he said.

    Answer by CocoaB at 8:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • You should have called the cops on his sorry a**

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2009