How is your toddler's behavior during a haircut?

I've never brought my son to a barber or anything, just cut his hair at home, maybe 5 or 6 times. He seems to act out more every time. I just cut it today and he was a wreck. I almost just left it half cut. He used to be fine with it. Anyway, yeah, 2 year old BS I'm sure... how is your kid with haircuts?

disgustipated

Asked by disgustipated at 1:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i always take my son to procuts to have it done. the lady who does it is really quick so hes usually pretty good.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• The place i always take my son gives him a sucker...yeah really hairy mess but keeps him happy long enough to pass the time...then when she is finished she gives him a new one
    Mom2beX2

Answer by Mom2beX2 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Mine were always perdy good when someone else cut it. But when I did it it was a disaster! The first time I took Luke to get his done was his first ever and he was obsessed with mullets for some damn reason. His hair was down to the middle of his back. He told the lady he wanted and I quote:"I wanna biness in the front and a partay in the back"! What kid does some shit like that? Weirdo.
    magnolia28

Answer by magnolia28 at 2:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have the same problem. I usually put something on tv that he like and give him something to snack on like candy. Then if all else falls, Finish after he falls asleep.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 3:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We take our kids in to have their haircuts.

The oldest has SPD so he always has a reaction...but as long as I tell the person cutting his hair no clippers and no blow dryer, he's better.

The younger two do fine. They have shorter spans where they will sit still...so what I do is take covered straw cups for them with some juice (mixed with water) to sip on. Once they hit the spot where they're getting antsy, I give them their cups and tell the stylist she has about 5 minutes of them being still before they're going to wiggle again! lol (I tell them what I'm going to do and ask they cut the front first)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My kids hate hair cuts. My 2 year old son is constantly scratching at his head whenever I try! He'll move his head around, and then tell me "No!" and run away. lol Sometimes I do leave it halfway cut, because he won't let me finish. My daughter is 3 and she fights it all the way! lol Although if I am persistant enough with her she will give in, although not happily.

I haven't cut my youngest sons hair yet...we'll have to see how he reacts...although I'm doubting it will be much different. :)
    BabyMommy_3

Answer by BabyMommy_3 at 7:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son hates when I try to cut his hair, but it's way too expensive to take him to get it cut all the time. So I do a bit of a hack job at home when he's in a good mood if I can. If I take him toa salon, he's GREAT. He sits really well for strangers lol! Maybe it's the big mirror or the neat little apron they give him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My 4 year old is great about getting his hair cut and we only had one time where he acted up. We take him to get it cut. I think it depends on the child's mood. I've driven to the hair cut place before and decided it wasn't a good time for it and have left.

My daughter is just turning two and I always hold her on my lap and try to distract her.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 8:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My sister usually cuts my 2 1/2 year old son's hair. He does get upset and it isn't always perfect. One time I took him to one of those hair cut places for kids where they get to sit inside a raised plastic car and the hair dresser cut his hair. He seemed to enjoy it and not jump around so much. It was the nicest hair cut he has had so far.
    BabyDanny

Answer by BabyDanny at 9:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• A lot of it is his age, and some kids do better with someone else cutting thier hair. Most salons have at least one person who works very well with kids, so you may want to try that route for a little while.

But my now 7 year old son hated his hair cut, not disliked but hated it! None of my kids ever enjoyed it but his reaction was extreem. One particular hair cut was the worst, he cried for two days in front of a mirror, I have not cut his hair since, it is now well past his shoulders. He has been called a girl so many times and he just doesn't care, the thought of a hair cut still bothers him. I am hoping he outgrows it!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2009