Who's last name should I give my son?

me and my son's dad aren't married. (& i dont think it'll ever happen anyways)
plus, the father wasnt around for part of my pregnancy.
so im not sure if i want Parker to have his last name,
or if i just wanna avoid possibly unnecessary bologna later and just give him my last name...
help.

SpiderMommy6

Asked by SpiderMommy6 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• most places will give the child the fathers last name if he signs the certificate.
    unless you make it super clear.
    I think if you think you will be alone with the child, then give it your last name.
    but if the father is going to be there for the child, then his last name.

good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• you can give the child both...yours and his fathers
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I gave my daughter her fathers name even tho we wernt together. When she finally got old enough to understand that our names were different I just told her that most children take their fathers names. And that is what my mother did with me. But I still agree with the first comment.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 3:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I am old fashioned, he should have his dad's last name unless you want dad out of the pic.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I gave all of my children my last name even though we are planning to be married. If you don't think you will ever marry him, and if you think he'll ever leave you guys again...then I would suggest giving your baby your last name.

If you ever wanted to change his name to his father's, like if you were going to get married, you could...although it would cost quite a bit. In Minnesota it costs $250 to get a name changed, and it's a strenuous process.

My mother also gave us her last name...which was a good idea, because my dad didn't stick around, and neither did my brother's dad.
    BabyMommy_3

Answer by BabyMommy_3 at 6:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• That was my mistake 7yrs also when I had my daughter. Her father and I were not married, but together 2yrs. So I gave birth and gave her the father's last name. And a few months later he left and never came back.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I gave my 1st dd my last name even though her sperm donor signed the birth certificate. I don't regret doing this either as he left us 2 weeks after she was born and never came back. My next 2 kids go their father's last name as I married him and we are still together =)
    I strongly suggest you go with your last name and if you ever do get married then you can change it if you and her want to =)
    Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I initially gave my son his father's name and we were in the middle of a divorce. But when my son was born he had to be transported to another hospital due to life threatening illness. When I got to the children's hospital to see my son I looked at his wristband. The nure told me the baby had to match the mother's name. So the hospital switched it. Turned out for the best. I have been divorced from my son's dad for over 7 years and he hasn't once met my son, he lives 20 minutes from us.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Give him your last name, if you do get married you can always change it later.
    MrsSimmans

Answer by MrsSimmans at 10:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My SO and i talked about this. We are going to be togetehr of course. But, he hates his last name, so we are using mine.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2009