Is it true...

that nobody is ever REALLY ready to be a mother? We threw a surprise birthday party today for my SO and his aunt came up to me and asked me if i was ready and i said no..she told me that nobody is really ever ready..I found out I was pregnant on my birthday, from a psychic..2 days later (8 days before my period) I got 3 positive tests and it was confirmed 2 days after that at the clinic that I am pregnant..it was the BIGGEST shock ever and ever since then I've been scared to death yet excited at the same time..Now I'm even more scared that I won't really be ready for my child emotionally. Does anyone else feel this way?

Sorry if this makes NO sense.......I must be really tired

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 2:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh, one other thought - I have teenagers, and let me tell you, this feeling of "I'm not entirely ready" doesn't really go away :-) Because once you get to be "a pro" at one stage, then they're off to the next. Babies become toddlers, who have different needs than babies, then they're school aged, then, when you get that down and think you're an old hat at this, they hit puberty. Then, as you've adjusted to all that, they start to get ready to move out, and you have to deal with that. Once you're ok with that, then they come to you with the news that THEY are going to have a baby, and you start to think "What?! I don't know if I'm ready to be a grandma!" "Are they ready to be parents?!"

But you know what, as worried as we can be sometimes, parenthood is such a great trip, it's well worth the stress :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• no one ever this there ready it just comes to you you'll be fine every thing your feeling is normal!!!!
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 3:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think that every woman feels that way in the begining. I even felt that way when i was preg with my second child. It is ok to be a little worried. You will feel better after you see the baby. Everything seems to come naturally. And you always have family and other mothers to help you out and answer questions. When you find out big new like that you cant help but wonder how it will go. Hope that makes you feel better:) Good Luck and Enjoy you new little one. It is a blessing! You will see.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 3:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I know I don't feel ready yet. I mean emotionally I do, but I'm still scared. Everyone says it will just come to you...well dammit why can't it "come now." I think it is true though. I mean you can read every book, talk to everyone who is a mom, and I still think its a shocker. We expect the exhausion, the spit up and diapers...but at the same time we have no idea how it really will be. Its almost like a window. Right now I'm on the outside looking in, although I'm making my towards the door! The window, though clear and clean is still a little distorted. But then our children arrive. And suddenly we're inside, no more distortion. WE see everything clearly now. So she's right, no one is truly prepared or ready, but we can get pretty darn close, eh?
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Here's the thing. It depends on what you mean by "ready". We can be "more ready" at various points in our lives than we are at others (age is not the only factor here, btw). We can be "ready" meaning we have what we need to take care of the child. We can be "ready" because we've waited so long for a child.

But, at the same time, even if all of those "readys" are in place, no, I don't think that any of us are 100% "ready" to be a Mom. Even if we have other kids, we're still not "ready" for the new baby, because each child changes the dynamics of the home, and aside from that, each child is a unique person in their own right, with their own needs and personalities, and we have to learn those, and we can't do that until they're here to show us "who they are", kwim?

So, I guess what I'm saying is you can be "as ready as you can get", but we can't be entirely ready beforehand.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• lol - it's sort of like sex. You can read about it. You can learn about it. You can prepare for it. It can be the right time of your life for it. But, until you have actually done it, it's not something you can fully understand.

Being a mother is the same thing - until you're in the midst of it, you can't really be fully ready for it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009