What is the best way to get rid of my year olds binky?

Ive tried just taking it away but she cries for it and it makes me feel so bad! Am i doing the right thing by just taking it away or is there something else I should do?

Trish324

Asked by Trish324 at 3:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cut the tip off
    _bittersweet

Answer by _bittersweet at 3:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would cut off the tip too. Then tell her that it broke. She will be upset but you wont have to be the mean one that way. If you have more than one binky- I would tell her that she needs to chose one and get rid of the others because their are other babies that need them. Then a few days or weeks later cut off the tip. It will be hard to see her go through that but it only takes a day or two.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 3:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Just take it away when she's not paying attention (ie: eating, before a bath) and make sure she doesn't see. Keep her busy for a few days- lots of playing and fun things. Maybe give her a teether to go to bed with instead.. After a few days she should forget about it. My twins are almost 18 months now, and they were both mostly done w/ pacifiers when they were 11 months or so (it was just bedtime at that point). That's what we did and it worked. Personally, I don't like to see 2-3+ year olds w/ pacifiers, so I was pretty diligent w/ the process. Good luck!

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 3:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Just take it away and don't give it back! It will be harder to take it the next time!

My view is better a few (in our case two) days of misery rather than stretching the time out and making it take longer.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• try only giving it to her for naps and bedtime for now. Slowly work it out from there. At this age its really the only way to do it when they really are addicted to it. I tried the cry it out, and it lasted a week. I finally caved. Now my DD hardly ever has. The only time she wants it is when she is sick.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• JUST TAKE IT AWAY! i tried to take my daughters away off and on for a couple of times, its a pain in the butt for the first couple of days and there will be many times you will want to give it back but dont just deal with it for a little while and she will slowly get used to it and that will be the end of that. my daughters been off of it for almost a year
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 6:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009