I feel like I'm going crazy

Ok a quick background first. I am a newly sahm. I recently got out of the military after serving 5 years. I am used to working 12 to 15 hour days. Now it feels like I'm stuck inside my house all the time. Almost everyone I know is still in the military and works all day and my hubby works nights so he sleeps all day. I feel lonely and like I'm going crazy being at home all day with very little adult contact. Does anyone have any advise or is experiencing the same thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• when i had my son i did. then i went back to school since i took the semester off to have him and it felt so much better. maybe try to join a moms meetup group in your area?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You are so used to a certain way of life. It takes time to get in the groove of a different way. When I quit working, my brain had to adjust to staying home. Find things around your house you like to do. No matter how old your baby is, take him to a play ground. You always will have motherhood in common with other moms, and there are tons of stay at home moms at a play ground during the day. Look at your park district catalog. They have baby and mom classes. It does take some getting used to, but hang in there.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 1:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Find some other mom's who are home during the day as well. Watch other kids. Mostly other people's kids are so well behaved for other people and then you can steal some adult convo when they come for their kids.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• First, thank you so much for your years of service! Now, you need to get out of the house every day. What age are your kids? If they are in school, call the school, they always need and welcome family volunteers. There are sure to be other volunteer opportunities in your area: hospital, senior citizen home, animal sheleter, social services agency, or a veterans center (maybe an organization like IAVA www.iava.org). If you have kids at home during the day, go to a park, zoo, museum etc. Plant a garden. Deliver "meals on wheels". Get creative and go!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. I recently had to have a hip replacement well two actually, I am home every day with minimal adult contact, with the exception of my 15 so who thinks he is an adult at times. I have found that reading good books helps me a bunch. I also make sure our weekends are filled with things to do so it gives me something to look forward to. But I am still lonely at times. I also work at the school when they need volunteers. Good luck you will do great
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 6:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009