At what age should I start trying to use a sippy cup?

My son is 4 month old and his baby's daddy mentioned he had already used a sippy cup with my son. I'm skeptical as to whwther or not he should even be trying a sippy cup yet. most sipy cups I've found have age guidlines on them specifying 7 - 9 months or older.

notreally69

Asked by notreally69 at 3:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 months sound young to me. I think that they should be able to hold it all by themselves. And with a sippy cup they could get alot of air in their bellies. I would wait until at least 6 or 9 months. Tell him that he is a baby. Let him be a baby. Sounds like he is trying to rush him.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 4:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I started him about five six months but he didnt get the concept until about ten months to a year..he is an old pro and just recently. A good sippy counts...I recommend the baby Eisenstein playtex with the soft spout. We used that when we first started and now he is in stage three Playtex. Playtex has a non spill thing that really works and I swear by those cups they are wonderful! ...Just practice dont force it, let him naw on it and see wht it is all about, I just gave him a little water in it nothing else to start so young.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:06 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We started ours at about 9 months. The age limit on the one we got says "3 months +". Our baby was a late eater though so with the next one i'll probably start at 7 months.

I wouldnt give my 4 month old a sippy cup. They are supposed to be strictly breastmilk/formula until their 6 months old, sometimes starting at 4 months but only in really un-common cases.

If you want, go ahead and do it. Nothing bad will come of it, its all just preferance really :)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Age guidelines are just that...guidelines. You can start a sippy cup as soon as the baby can handle it. What a deal to get rid of the bottle so early!! You don't have the big (potential) fight about it when they're older and addicted to the bottle!

We put the boys on sippy cups at 6 months. I didn't feel they were really ready to hold it themselves until then...and we had to teach them, but they were able. Once they were able to hold it and drink from it the bottles were gone.

For some reason, some people seem to equate getting rid of the bottle with getting rid of breastmilk or formula (which they are "supposed" to have for a year). Getting rid of the bottle does NOT mean getting rid of what's inside of the bottle! Put his formula or breasmilk in the cup and go once the baby can at least sit up alone to correctly drink.

Babies are still babies until a year old when they become toddlers. Don't worry about it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think thats quite young. Once you don't have babies anymore, you see how fast times goes and you want it back. Don't wish the babyhood away. Just let the child have the bottle. If hes not taking it, then it could mean that hes not ready. I don't get all hung up about milestones and things we SHOULD be doing at certain ages. I just let my kids be kids. It doesnt hurt me for them to suck a bottle until their 2. ITs not harder to get rid of...not for me anyway. Thats just all my method though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We started my daughter on solids at 4 months, and the pediatrician said if we wanted to we could introduce the sippy with just a bit of water in it just so they get used to the idea of the sippy cup. Granted my daughter got little or nothing out of the cup at that time, but at 6 months she was way used to it and able to hold it up on her own. Since she knew what it was for, she would see it on her high chair tray and just pick it up and put it in her mouth all by herself.

It's not bad to start at 4 months, so if you feel like you want to, go for it! There's nothing wrong with that. But if you want to wait that's fine too! Your the mamma and will know what's best!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Every baby is different. If your baby likes the sippy then go with it. Use it at meal time if you all ready have him on solids. You want your child off the bottle eventually anyway so if they like it go for it. As long as he is getting enough milk everyday!
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 10:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• if you baby can hold a bottle on his own and is sitting up with little to no help, then you can try a sippy.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We waited until ours were 6 months to offer it, and then they just played with it for awhile (we'd put a small amount of water in it). My first daughter got the hang of it around 8 months and my second is 7 months and still not getting much to drink from it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i EBF and dont like bottles so i got a nuby 3 in 1 sippy cup that has a almost bottle like nipple and two other (older stage) replacement lids. my dd first tried it when she was 3 months(but she wanted nothing to do with it since she was EBF) but around 5 months she started liking it,then we just got her a new sippy cup with handles that she loves and is pretty good at holding(shes 6 months)....anyways,imo i think its fine,just get a good cup with a soft slow flow spout
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2009