My 8 month old baby gets hysterical when I leave the room..

it can be something as simple as me going to the restroom and she almost hyperventilates,she starts chocking and she ends up throwing up all over herself. The same thing happened when she took her first bath in the tub, even when I'm with her she throws up all over herself.Is this normal?What should I do? I'm worried about when I return to work how she will take it .Any suggestions?

GHENNIVA

Asked by GHENNIVA at 3:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal yes, she is having separation anxiety. My son did and does too. he was so bad to the throwing up point too. I just slowly would pass him off to someone other then me for a longer period of time and would slowly increase the away time until he just didnt care. Try getting her attached to a lovey like a baby doll or toy it will help her comfort...she will learn to self sooth as she gets older but I wouldnt neglect her or let her cry it out because she throws up, I made the mistake of putting my son on the floor while cooking I came back and he was choking on his puke :( that was my worst parent moment...GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Seperation anxiety is normal at this age. Wish I had some advise for you. All I can say is give her lots of love and attention when you are with her, so she builds a strong sense of security. And maybe start leaving her for short spurts during the day with her new caregiver so she gets to know them. See if you can stop by a couple times with her and play with the caregiver and other kids so that she sees that she is in a safe place. Whatever you do, resist the urge to give her a really big drawn out good-bye. Just arrive about 15 minutes early so you can play and get her used to her suroundings and when you leave just give her a hug and kiss and say "Mommy is going to work now. Miss So&So is going to take care of you today. I love you." And then leave. the key is she has to feel as if it is a safe place, and if you are making a huge ordeal over leaving, she wil get more anxious. Hope that helps!
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 10:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2009