What to do at play dates? Ideas, anyone?

I may be hosting a play date next week. The problem is, ive never even been to one so i have no idea what goes on! My little girl is nearly 10 months old and the little boy will be 1 year. He's a few months "behind" though so its kind of like having two 10 month olds.
What do the kids do (besides the obvious)?
What do the parents do? What kind of food should i make? The babies cant eat sweets so if i made that, it wouldnt be for them..

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 4:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess pull out a box of toys for the kiddos. Make some snack for the moms, and snack for the kids. I've never been to a playdate, so I have no idea, lol.

Oh you could make finger sandwiches! Everybody loves those.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I get together around once a month with the women from my birth class. It's nice because we all have sons that were born in the same week! Anyway, our sons are 8 months now and we just had our get together last night. We put a blanket down on the floor, covered it with toys and just let the boys roll around and play. My son is crawling so I had to keep chasing him down and putting him back on the blanket but other than that it worked out just fine.

When I hosted I made some dips for chips and veggies. One girl brought pastries and I made coffee and had some water and sodas for people. That seemed to work out just fine. Since it's only one mom I'd go with one or two dips, some coffee or tea, and some sodas.

Have fun!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• The ones I was involved in were always very informal.. just a few women getting together to talk, basically (we often did it over lunch and the moms brought their kids' own lunches when they were still babies) and I'd make a lunch salad, but you can easily do appetizers and crackers and I"m sure there will be something the babies can have. For that age you don't need any organized activities... just toys. You'll probably spend most of the time comparing stories about your kids... that's what we usually did. Now I get together with a friend who also has 2 small kids (mine are 2 and 7 months) and we make a toddler-friendly lunch and try to talk as little about the kids as possible... it's total Mayhem, but fun.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• set the kids up with some toys, and have a tray of snacks out of reach from the children for the adults. Most of the time (since this is the first) try sharing photos, etc. The kids will play do what they normally do anyways at this age. So be sure to have seating for both children, and a quiet room they can retire to during nap time. Going for a walk with the kids is also a way to get out and enjoy your playdate as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2009