WHAT DOES THE DIABETIC TESTING CONSIST OF???

I HAVE TO GET THE DIABETIC TESTING DONE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS, I WILL BE 7 MONTHS ALONG....WHAT DOES IT CONSIST OF AND HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 4:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They usually do it in the morning. It is a fasting glucose tolerance test. You don't eat or drink anything that am and they give you a really sugary drink. You wait about an hour and they check your blood sugar with a finger stick. That's it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If you're doing the one hour, you generaly don't have to fast, it varies from doctor to doctor. You'll drink a VERY sweet glucose drink, wait an hour and then have yoru blood tested. If you can choose...drink the red!!!! If it reads high (which it actually does in most women) you'll do the 3 hour. The three hour is a little more complex. You fast for 12 hours prior (so its best to schedule the appointment in the morning). They'll take your fasting sugar levels first. Then they'lll give you a larger version of the glucose drink. And once an hour for three hours they'll call you back and draw blood. So bring something to read or do (I brought my laptop and chilled on cafemom). As long as you get a normal reading on at least 3 you're ok! If you get 2 or more abnormal or "high" readings you'll be diagnosed Gestaional diabetic. IF you have to do the 3 hour don't worry. Most women test high on the 1hr.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:17 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I had the gestational diabetes when I was pregnant! The 1st test I did was the 1 hour and I think I was allowed to eat but nothing really sugary. And they took my sugar when I got there and they I had to drink the glucsoda (which is like a really flat orange soda, its actually tasty, but sweet) then I had to wait an hour and they took my sugar again. I got really light headed and hot on my 1st one. So I had to go home and drink tons of water to flush my system out. Mine came back high so I had to do the 3 hour. This one I think you have to fast, I cant remember. But you go in, they test your sugar, make you drink the whole bottle of gluclose,and the every hour on the hour they test your sugar. Your best bet if you do that is go in at like 8am so you get out by noon! And bring a book or something to keep yourself occupied and bring someone with you incase you feel funny! And if you have ges.diabetes its not that bad!Good Luck!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I only did the 1 hour test. I had to fast before the test. They took blood when I got there, then I drank the sugary orange stuff (tasted like flat orange soda) and waited an hour, then they took more blood. It was annoying b/c it took so long but other than that it wasn't any worse than normal blood work.
    pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have mine soon. Here in the UK. You don't eat aanything and only drink water, they take your blood. Then give you a specific measurment of Lucozade then you go, come back in two hours and they take your blood again. It is gonna be one EXHAUSTING day.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• they drew some blood theni had to drink some stuff that tasted like flat orange pop waited an hour and did it again. i was able to eat and dring befor i had it.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 7:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2009