Is it more stylish for moms over 40 wear their hair shorter?

I am ready for a new hairstyle, but just can decide what to do. I have continued to keep my hair longer around the face which also hide a scar on my left cheek...and I have to admit I like to be able to just pull my hair back when I'm in a rush.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I'm 50 and in the process of growing my hair out. Its been short my entire adult life, but the women in my family always let their hair get long when they're older. It depends on what you like on yourself. If you still like the way you look with long hair, keep it. If not, cut it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• there's no set limit to age/length of hair..its more about shape(of the face, and the cut-how they can work together for your good), texture(hair changes as it ages, texture can become frizzy, brittle, wiry..thinning of the hair is expected, too), and lifestyle. some women can pull off long hair at any age. same with short hair.
    what you can depend on is, as the face falls (and it will!) with loss of elasticity, appearance of lines, etc..your haircut shape needs to de-emphasize the bad..usually, layers or lift in the cut/style to keep the 'eye' going up, rather than down (into the chin/neck area). heaviness in the hair emphasizes aging-signs. also, color needs to be lighter. your skin tone lightens/fades with age, so your hair should, too. no one needs to see an aging lady/man with solid-colored sable brown hair..highlighting, softer colors in the formulation..is what we need.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• im turning 50 this year. ive always wore my hair long to my waist. i recently cut my hair off to the tops of my shoulders....i love it! its bouncy, new & fun! I wish i had cut it a long time ago. I can still wear it in a pony tail & head band. Its just to cute! Its made me fee brand new and facing 50 hasnt been nearly as hard for me.

I agree with "thehairnazi" but do what fits your life style. I personally need a big change in my apparence....it gave me the lift i was needing. So dont just decide because it fits your face shape, but also the attitude you want to have each morning when you get up to take on the world, even if its just the kitchen dishes...lol!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I for one can't wait to turn 40 and cut my long tresses. I recently told one of my older sister's who is a young looking 44 (and who recently cut her hair shorter) not to let me turn 40 and keep all this hair that I have on my head. To me most (certainly not all) tend to look a lot older than 40-anything due to their extra long hair. It also makes them look matronly and homely. I'm 32 and I have hair to the middle apart of my back and I love it now; it's easy to pull it back into a pony, do up do's with it and so on but as I get older around 40 or so I know I'll be up for something new, fun and fresh. Hopefully a new haircut may also let my husband know that I'm getting better with age and not worse, after all 40 isn't old.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Personally I don't think there's a set age that you have to change your hair style. I think hairstyles are what a person likes, looks good on them, and compliments their facial structure.

I had very long hair until age 59. When I retired from my job I had it cut short because I wanted a change, an easier shorter style to suit my outdoor hobbies.

Linda
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 9:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think if it works for you it doesn't matter your age. I've seen lots of beautiful older women with short hair, medium hair and long hair. Just go with a style that is flattering to you! I'm sure it will look great no matter what length it is!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2009