My daughter's nose runs when she drinks milk..

My daughter is 20, almost 21 months and when we first gave her milk when she was about 14 months she threw up..The Pedi suggested still trying it here and there to see if she just needs to adjust to it.Well now she doesn't throw up anymore, but her nose will run..Would that basically mean she's still allergic to milk or maybe just adjusting?

Glitterandglitz

Asked by Glitterandglitz at 9:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All of my children have a dairy allergy. One would throw it up, 2 would get ear infections and one would have a runny nose! We had to get them off of dairy for several health reasons. They now have some ice cream, cheese and some dairy however they do not drink milk. We use Almond milk, Rice milk and occassionaly Soy. I have more boys and my doctor told me that Soy has too much natural estrogen for adolecent boys. Since you have a girl it is probably just fine to use soy.

If the only symptom is the runny nose and you want to wipe it all the time then ok. You can introduce dairy in many other ways that may not affect her the same. Calcium can be intoduced in many other ways as well. The main reason for milk is that it is high in calcium. The Dr. told me to give my son a Tums daily to fulfill the same calcium as the milk.

Hope this is helpful to you and good luck.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 11:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Maybe try rice milk or soy possibly. She could be allergic, she doesn't necessarily have to have cow milk, Nothing wrong with it, but, if she is having runny nose, alternate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• She does drink silk soy because it has the most calorie next to rice milk..She needs to gain weight or at least maintain..She only 21lbs and almost 21 months..
    Glitterandglitz

Answer by Glitterandglitz at 10:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• if the mucus is clear, it could be allergies. If not, your going to want to take her in to get the runny nose checked out.
    If it's clear, you should talk with your doctor about finding the culprit of the allergy. Make sure you tell them you belief it's the milk first. So they can test for that. But remember allergies can start at any time, so it could be something else causing this too. But talk with your doctor to find the best way to handle it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• First of all, children do not need milk. She may have developed a dairy allergy, especially if dairy was introduced before her first birthday. There are many inexpensive and healthy ways to get calcium into children (and adults!) Great information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• she wasn't given milk actually until she was 15 months of age..She had a reaction to milk based formula so we were careful and waited..
    Glitterandglitz

Answer by Glitterandglitz at 9:05 PM on May. 17, 2009