Why is it OK for people to bash Christians?

Why do people bash Christianity so much? When it happens any Christian who defends their belief is then called ignorant, judgmental, and worse! Why are the Christian bashers not called bigots? I never cast judgment on any other religion and accept anyone's beliefs. Why is this 'argument' so one sided?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 9:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Human nature, it seems when people who are christians bring their views why they don't agree or different views on abortion, etc., they are considered ignorant or judgemental. There is double standard, and it is sad people are that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I totally agree wit h your statement there and have seen it right here in this section of cafemom as well as other areas. Very soon you will get an answer that says Christians are not bashed and there is a difference between stating an opinon and bashing. Unfortunately when a Christan stands up for themselves immediately accusations of using the pity me I am a Christian card will thrown. As the previous poster said, it is a double standard, but until those you bash, call names and send accusations of Christians use the pity me card are willing to digest the information and listen without bias it will never stop.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 10:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Its basic majority rules. I'm sure i'm not the only one that see's this. Its the same reason why white people get verbally abused but nothing gets doen about it. If you live in a christian country, you will be able to "bash"away because it is the majority.

Apparently, as long as you aren't making fun of minorities then its ok?! Its a stupid ideal. But, it has ASLWAYS been this way. With everything.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't think it is OK to bash anyone who isn't being hateful or willfully ignorant. However some people are on the defensive when it comes to dealing with Monotheists because they have learned that they are coming at you with the attitude that you are wrong & must learn the one right way. This tends to make them somewhat hostile towards all Monotheists, maybe not fair, but also not completely unfounded.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• By the way, i woulnd't take it too personally. Everyone makes fun of all religons.
    Scientology for example is absolutly hilarious, Jedi knights....really?! Muslims....well, according to media propaganda they are all terrorists, right?

At least christians get taken seriously by their country and state.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I've seen Christians bash people for having many different beliefs. That doesn't mean all Christians bash people. Just because a few people who have had bad experiences with Christians bash them doesn't mean every non Christian has a problem with it.

What I really think is that anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people.  They feel like they can say whatever they want with no regard for the feelings of other people.  Christians are no more victim to this than any other group.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You will not see those who bash Christians called bigots because the majority of Christians just pass by a hateful comment or post. Yes, there are some that lash out with a hard tongue but most just move on and do not partake in the bashing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Because Christianity is "the man" and they've tried at one point or another to stamp out every other belief system on the planet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don´t think it´s Christianity itself that gets bashed for the most part, but rather the way some Christians insist and try to push on others the idea that their way is the ONLY way. If Christians simply lived their lives according to their beliefs and shared those beliefs with others who were interested in a respectful way, there would be a lot less bashing. Of course there are some who will bash others who believe differently than them no matter what...and I agree that is sad and not OK.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• 8 questions before Christians were pointed out as big bad bullies. Good job. anon:26 do you really believe Christians are the only religion that tried stamp out every other religion system on the planet? Turn on the history channell. As mum to be at 18 said it happens in all religions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2009