Can I be responsible to pay anything to another mother that takes my 18 year old daughter into her home without my permission?

My daughter is 18 in August. She wants to move in with her 16 year old boyfriend's family's home in August. Her father pays support for her to me now. Can this mother take me to court for responsible of financial, and health insurance? What happens to her father's childsupport does it go to my daughter?

mrstina32

Asked by mrstina32 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well, technically, CHILD SUPPORT is to support the child. As far as being financially responsible to this other mother, she can't come after you if your daughter is still a minor especially if ur daughter moves there without your permission. (Then it's considered that your daughter ran away and the mother is harboring a run away, which is illegal.)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Nope, she is an adult. It would be on her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Not till Aug, then yes you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Child support should stop when she is 18 unless stated otherwise. If you get a check after that you need to return it cuz he can take you to court. If she is 18 she is an adult and needs to take on her own responsibilities. You are not responsible for her at 18.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• No, she will be an adult. Unless you sign or co-sign something then you are in NO way responsible for anything. The child support will probably just stop. It will just stay with her father. At least thats as far as I know. It could be different. I would call child support office and ask the customer service dept. or whatever. Good luck to ya!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Child support will stop when she turns 18, so she will be legally on her own. AND, since her boyfriend is underage she could be charged with statutory rape.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Once she turns 18 no one gets child support unless she's in college and the child support is set up to extend to age 21. If so, the child support will then go to your daughter from age 18 - 21. However, if she quits college child support would end.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• yes my mom has to do that now the person caring for the 18 yr old gets the money
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• an its also wrong bout a statuary rape im 16 an my bf is 20 an we have a child together an went to court an they leave it alone if the minors parents consent an obviously they do since she lives with them
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Child support only continues to college if stated in the support order.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009