How long does open speghetti sauce in a jar last?

I know there is an experation date on the jar, but once it is opened, how long will it last to be reused? I do have it in the refrigerator, but am worried about using it...

kscmbz

Asked by kscmbz at 10:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Not too sure- how long have you had it in there for?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• it has been a few weeks. It is one of those really large jars to last for like 2 dinners.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Hmm.. If you smell it, does it smell okay? Has it past its exp date on the jar?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I believe as long as its refridgerated after opening, and the exp date isnt up yet, its most likely good.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'm not sure. But you can try to get sealable jars for when this happens again, so it lasts longer. I'd assume it should last as long as the ketchup in your fridge, but honestly I have no idea.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would just sniff it, maybe stick a finger in it (or a spoon, if you prefer) and give it a small taste to see if it's obviously gone bad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If there is any "black stuff" around the rim, through it out. Otherwise, it should be good for at least a week. Here is a handy-dandy reference guide.
    http://www.demesne.info/Home-Maintenance/Keeping-Food.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I use mine until I start to see mold forming. A couple of weeks usually.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I keep it in the refrigerator. If you see mold (even in the refrigerator) then its bad
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I often wondered that too. Not that I should answer, but I keep mine for about 4 or 5 days.
    lake77

Answer by lake77 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009