I am so angry...and she doesnt even realize what she has done....she never does. Do you know anyone like this?

My aunt is so selfish. my grandmother has alzheimers. My mother has cared for her for about 5 years. She even lived in an apartment attached to my parents house when she got really bad. Mother gave her baths, bought groceries. ect ect.

Now she is in the nursing home. My aunt comes to my mothers house ( and the apartment) yesterday when everyone was at work. No one knew she was coming. She took EVERYTHING!!!

All the beautiful quilts, the huge rug on the floor. The couch the chair. All towels, all nice cookware. Sheets ect ect.

My mother is soo upset. I am too. My mother earned the rights to something and Kelly who did nothing during all of this mess, got everything.

UGGGGG! And she claims to be such a Christian. She doesnt even seem to realize that she is wrong. How is that possible?

Why do things have to be so complicated and hard?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 11:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• If your mother lives in attached apt. on the property of the home, she's a legal resident. Unless your aunt's name is on a document, such as the lease or title, she is not. I'd check w/the legalities of your state first, but it sounds like theft to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Can it be theft even if it was my grandmother things and she has no clue about any of these type things anymore?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:17 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Yes, if she was not given permission by your grandmother or other legal occupant of the residence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Hmmmmmm, I hadnt thought of it like that. I will have to mention that to my mother. Thank you : /
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Who has the legal power of attorney. If the aunt does, then perhaps she would be allowed to have the stuff, but not to remove it from your mother's property. How did she get in, did she have a key? It sure sounds like theft to me. Perhaps your mother should consult a lawyer. To have the memorabilia stolen like this isn't right. Your aunt should have something to remember her mother when her mother passes away, if anything is left after the cost of caring for her in a nursing home.

Answer by Bmat at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think your mother would be able to call the police. Unless your aunt lives there too it is theft.
    Rainbowbrite639

Answer by Rainbowbrite639 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would check into the legal possibilities. Call the police department and a good lawyer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I can probably validate everything you and your mom are feeling right now. I have the SAME aunt! My grandma still lives at home...with my mom living there to care for her. MY aunt lives 2 miles away and only comes when and if she wants/needs something....when she does "drop" by...she always takes something. Last time, about a month ago...she took a clock that has been in our family forever. My other aunt who lives 3 miles away does the same damn thing. My 1st aunt unfortunately has the "power of attorney." She's an evil, greedy, bitch! She was allowing my grandma to sit in her chair to rot before my mom moved in a couple of years ago. I live too far away to help...and, my grandma absolutely refuses to be in a home at this point.  Ridiculous that anyone would do that chit...but, it happens all the time. Very sad situation...sorry.

Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 12:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'd call the police. She stole them. At the very least I'd call a lawyer and have her bring them back.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• See, this is sad. This is why my parents decided that each of us, me and my 3 sisters, would be given a piece of jewlery. Then everything else would be sold, and the money split. Which pisses me off because there are things I WANT, things to keep in the family. I'll just have to get them before it's too late. An elder being sick and or dying is hard enough. But every family has one member that is so selfish, that it makes things harder. I doubt that anything will click in her head that she is wrong. If you guys haven't already, def call the cops. Since your aunt didn't do much in the way of caring for your grandma, I'm sure she doesn't have any legal rights to all this stuff. I hope you guys get these things back.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2009