How would handle massive inflation?

So, there is a good chance we'll see some pretty serious inflation in the couple of years. I was curious how everyone plans on getting by if food prices double, gas goes to $5 plus, clothing costs go through the roof? Would you cut out most of your electric bill, drive a lot less, make things from scratch? Is there any way you could get back on 20% less of what you're making now?

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 11:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • We would just have to seriously cut back.

We did this when we were first married and my dh just started his job and we had a baby.

We had no internet, no cable, no cell phones. No trips, ect.

I think we would be ok, we would just have to do with less. As long as we have our house, enough food and health we would be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It does not matter, the Democrats have a plan to save us.

Bawney Frank has our best interests at heart and always has, same for Nancy.

Just trust, believe, and have plenty of hope and faith.

The wealth WILL be redistributed.

I know The Obamas will not use the present financial fiasco the push thru a Socialist agenda. It helps that I don't have a clue as to what Socialism is. Ahhh, ignorance is bliss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well, first, get rid of our "president",and get someone in there who knows what the heck they are doing,and has the country's best interests at heart,and isn't interested in becoming a "rock star",as the person we have in there now is. That is really the only hope this country has, to get him out, and get someone in there who has half a brain,and is a true American. The one we have throws us all under the bus every chance he gets,and is more interested in photo ops,and sound bites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• LMAO Grace!!!
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• That is funny I mean these same ones in there who screwed us up already have our best interest at heart.YEAH that sure makes alot of sense huh?
    Anonymous

• To actually answer the question.....

I will be making more things from scratch. I've actually started looking into a baking class and plus it might do me some good.
    I will be finding more affordable activities to do close to home. Lucky for us I'm close to about 5 amusement parks.
    We've already started saving on our energy bill.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Interesting LadyChamp, but cap and trade will kill the amusement park business. Prices will go up to cover for the carbon emissions they put out. It will be reflected in the admission price, the food costs, the little goodies w/ the amusement park's name.

You all realize that if Gore has his way, there will be an additional tax on jacuzzi's, right. I hope y'all don't like bubbles in your hot soak.
    Anonymous

• Lady Champ,whether you like what we said or not we ALL actually answered the question! Just cause you don't like our responses doesn't make them any less valid than your's!
    Anonymous

• We are systematically paying off my car (will be in Nov. of this year.) We aren't splurging on things that we might normally have done this summer (like take a cruise or travel cross country), and we are saving money (not taking on any debt.)

We are living as frugally as possible, but then again, we always have. The people that survived the Great Depression were the ones that were not in debt to banks or anyone else, people that knew how to grow their own food, and those that didn't believe or confuse luxuries from necessities.

People that have cash will be the ones that are able to survive.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well, we already have a good sized veggie/fruit garden and a few fruit trees. We have a large storage freezer and a vacuum food sealer system. Hubby CAN hunt and fish (if NEED be!). We are well stocked up on bulk canned and non-perishable staples (we have a large basement pantry near the freezer for such things). I can already bake/cook from scratch, and sew from patterns (even though I prefer to buy things now!), and we already live by basic needs and wants...we don't travel, we primarily entertain ourselves at home (have our own inground pool, kids have a large swingset/forte/treehouse combo, we have a large outside propane grill with several extra propane tanks, etc.).

So I would say WHEN push comes to shove, we're prepared to weather the next few years! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2009