Is my almost 21 month old too small?(weight wise)

She looks skinny to me but not overly..she's 21lbs and 33/34 inches long..She's tall and skinny..She doesn't have a baby well check till she's 2 though so I have no idea of her percentile for weight!Is she overly small or just slightly? I should add she has food allergies, and also was born with a cleft lip and palate so she didn't eat solids till she was 14 months because of issues with it..So she was a little behind solid wise, and also born at 34 weeks and 6 days..Also I need a site maybe with some high calorie foods for her to help her gain..I wouldn't worry but she's been stuck at 20/21lbs since she was 16 months :/..

Glitterandglitz

Asked by Glitterandglitz at 11:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She'd definitely well under the 50th because my daughter was nearly 25 lbs at her 18 month, if I remember correctly, and was in the 50th. But mine was also much taller... Percentiles shouldn't necessarily worry you... someone has to be "smaller" than the average or the average would be higher), but if she's not gaining that's what would worry me. This sounds like a concern for the pediatrician, though. I'd call and talk to the nurse, tell her what you told us, and see if she thinks it's an issue...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Do a search on google... you'll find percentile charts. Do keep in mind though, that after a year their weight gain slows waaay down. Or just call your doctor and ask over the phone.
    ChristinaM85

Answer by ChristinaM85 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• try babycenter.com

they have charts for what size your child should be (just plug in the age) as well as health tips that you are looking for.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• thank you I got 5 to 10 percent...I'm glad she's at least ON the chart..
    Glitterandglitz

Answer by Glitterandglitz at 12:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• she's fine! Try not to put too much thought into the growth charts. They are just averages and every kid is different. My dd is 23 moths and only 23 lbs. She sat around 20 lbs for almost a year before she started growing again. She eats all the time and is very active, just a little small for her age. no biggie as long as they are healthy, eating, developing, etc.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 16 months and 20 pounds. She literally hasn't gained a single ounce since her 12 month checkup. Her doctor says she is perfectly healthy, just extremely active. She eats like a horse and still nurses once to twice a day. Don't worry too much; at least you don't have to buy new clothes as quickly as other mothers;D LOL.
    Anonymous