• In the Spotlight:

How do you deal with whinning in a 20 month old child ?

gagejust

Asked by gagejust at 11:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all, you have to make sure there is nothing wrong with him. Have you looked him over, taken his temperature, looked at his throat and ears? I would start with this. If not then check his teeth, maybe he is cutting some teeth and that is making him cranky. If all of these check out okay, I would see about maybe rocking him and getting him to take a nap.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:53 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• is this just a thing that's been going on for a short time? or is this long term. If this has only been happening for a short time see the above answer, and remember it could be a stage that children go through at this age, (see babycenter.com for more information on what could cause this and ideas on how to take care of it) If this has been going on for a few months... then your going to have to find ways to calm him without harshly disciplining him. You can also check out babycenter.com for ideas on how to deal with a child that is cranky all the time for solutions.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Duct Tape works for me ...just kidding but heres what I did I checked the kiddo to make sure there wasnt a dirty diaper , tried to feed him/her / just in case he was hungry , Tried a bath , check baby's shoes /clothing to make sure theres no pinches ............Is the baby whining all the time or just sometimes ? He/ she may be ill as well and you will have to check to see if theres fever , or pain
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I always told my kids I don't speak that language, and walked away. They were always right behind me,speaking clearly.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Grin and bear it all day long.

I'm jealous of the "LoriW"'s of the world. It sounds so simple "the ignoring technique" but 2 1/2 hours later of extended tantrum, somehow I don't think I have that technique mastered.

I remind myself that this too shall pass. I try to make sure DS is fed and well rested. I try to distract DS, keep him busy before the whining starts, but often just let him cry and whine.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2009