Over-supply?

Well...I finally switched from pumping exclusively to nursing exclusively and, while I'm much happier, my problems have changed. When I was pumping exclusively I worried about keeping my supply up. Now that I'm nursing, I have an over supply.

It is causing issues because my daughter is having to pull away from the breast because milk is literally shooting out at her...she will get too full from trying to drink more milk than she needs because she is swallowing all this extra that is spraying at her. Then she will fuss and spit up. They say not to pump out a little bit first because it will just encourage you to make that much every time...but what else do I do!! Aside from my daughter's troubles I'm horribly uncomfortable because I just keep producing over and over.

Help!! What do I do!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump til letdown, catch the letdown in a cup, save in a storage bag for back up.

Do block feeding...nurse on one side for 3 feedings, if the other hurts pump only long enough to relieve pressure...this will help milk back off.

When EPing you HAVE to have an oversupply because a mom with regular supply struggles to pump enough....'

Keep it up momma an oversupply usually backs off after a few weeks anyways
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Just hang in there for a few days. Your body will chill out soon when it realizes you're not always demanding more like during the pumping days. You can pump a little bit (but a really little bit) before nursing so that your daughter doesn't get the immediate let-down and so you're more comfortable, but this will draw it out a little longer. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would just express them into a cup, before you put your dd to the breast, this way she is not overwhelmed with your let down. Your body will figure it out in a few days.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• What I did when my milk shot out at her is nurse while leaning or laying back...for some reason that helped....don't worry, it will regulate to her in a couple of days...the same thing has happened to me, she stopped nursing and Ive been pumping during the day for like almost 2 months, now she is back on the breast and I feel engorged after like an hour....but that's good, better to have too much than not enough. AFter you are done feeding, try pumping to get what's left out and store it. I don't think you can ever have enough....good job mommy:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Change your nursing position. Put baby OVER rather than under the breast to make gravity your ally. There are some great photos on kellymom.com...search the site for overactive letdown.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009