Is an amniocentesis as bad as it seems?

I am having one done in 2 weeks and I am nervous. I don't really know why, but I guess it is because they will be sticking a needle in my belly! If you have had it done what took place? Did they numb the area first? Was there any problems afterward? Thanks mommas

bjsgrl

Asked by bjsgrl at 12:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ive never had one before but i do know yes they will numb the area a little .lol that would just be to mean not to ..
    good luck !
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I had one done last week and am having another one on mon. it doesnt hurt and they didnt numb the area they say that is actually worse than the process. I was goven the option to have it numbed but then you have 2 shots instead of 1, the worst part is if they have to move the baby to get a pocket of fluid. the whole process from needle going in to coming out took about 30 seconds. i was scared at first but it isnt that bad at all. just stay calm and relax. i watched the monitor to see the process couldnt actually see the needle except on the screen it was actually really weird to watch. good luck stay calm and relax.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It hurts like hell. My doctor didn't numb it first. I couldn't even touch the spot afterwards for awhile, but it's well worth the pain.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009