I want to try to cut my 17 month old sons hair for the first time because it is getting in his eyes but he is an extremely active child and i am afraid of hurting him does anyone have some suggestions?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take him to a barber shop. thats what we had to do with our son.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My daughter won't let strangers cut her hair so I have to do it.
    Maybe try doing it when he is asleep?
    Depending on what you have to do to it, maybe have your SO hold him up so you can do it safely.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 12:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• my mother has always cut my sons hair....we put him up in a tall bar stool chair with a booster seat attached to it.....it has a trey like a high chair....then we turn on his favorite movie and put some never before seen toys on the tray and then CUT QUICK .....lol!

I am usually the entertainer...lol, I have jumped around and acted like a fool to keep him still and entertained. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We gave our son chicken nuggets to eat during his first haircut. He sat very still while he was eating. We just had to keep switching out nuggets when his hair would fall in the front.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'd try a professional kids hair cutting place first. They will have experience in dealing with squirming kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• A friend of mine has a son with autism and he is very sensitive to being touched and will not allow stranger near him.  She figured out a great way to trim his bangs and even give him a full haircut at home and it worked great with my son as well.

Put him in the high chair in front of a video that mesmerizes him with his favorite snack.  When her son started wiggling, she turned off the video.  He quickly learned to stay very still and now they do it once a month.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'd try a kids hair cutters. But also the favourite show's to watch at home works too. We do both. At the kids hair cutters they give them a sucker, and each chair has a mini dvd player to occupy them. They are also very patient and chat the kids up if they are into that, mine are. My 4 yo son has requested the hair dresser to do his summer mohawk. I usually do it. I'm a little jealous! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Do it while he's sleeping, lol! That's the only way I could trim DS's hair and nails when he was little. :)
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 2:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I just cut my 18 month old son's hair for the 2nd time. The fist time he was shockingly GREAT. He didn't move, he was patient, etc. I think you'd be surprised at how still an 18 month old can be. Especially if you keeps saying things like, "Wooooowwwww." "You are so good." And just basically ahhing at everything! I did have a hard time getting my son to tip his head forward so I could get the back. Cure- Have someone hold something entertaining near your child's feet. If you don't have a 2nd person either put something near their feet, or tie some toy onto their feet. Be quick with getting the back.

Good luck :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You can always put in a hairband. In our neighborhood, many of the religious people do not cut their children's hair until their second birthday. They have a religious ceremony (called an upsharen) and party; it is a nice event and celebration.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2009