Anyone use a chore chart for them and their hubbies?

DH and I have been arguing like crazy. We both work full time, I'm also back in school for my Masters degree. I feel like he doesn't pitch in enough and I'm doing all the work. It's really straining our marriage. I have suggested a chore chart in the past to make us both accountable and to get him to pitch in a little more, but he's always shot it down. He's finally agreed to it, but thinks it's dumb and won't work. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this before and how you've worked it out. He keeps throwing ideas about how it won't work, timing issues, weather stuff for outdoor work, etc., but I think if we are both committed to it and flexible it will work. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

kryjen

Asked by kryjen at 12:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Good luck on that
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I use a white board to write the things that need to be done that day and then I put next to the chore someone's name. Kinda like a honey 2 do list! Good luck hun!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Yeah good luck. I dont think I could convince my hubby to even pick up his socks off the floor for a thousand dollars. Chore charts do work in large familes though!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• lol no..good luck:)

~Ashley~
    11wk/3d today!
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 1:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would not want to do this. I think you are running the risk of making your husband feel like he's your child. That's seriously what chore charts are for---teaching children how to become responsible. All I know is that if my husband prepared one for me, I'd be highly insulted.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Women have had them for men forever. They are called "Honey Do Lists" Women already know what they need to do so no list is required but somehow men need a list to be reminded!!!!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would think that if you can't verbally agree to splitting the chores then you will just have to be stubborn and let things go for a little while. I think it's only fair to share the responsibilities if you both are working. If your children are old enough then make a chart for them and that should take some of the load off. Our boys do chores everyday except Saturday, and it helps me a bunch!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 1:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I do most all of the chores...my hubby will help out when I ask him to, it may take him a little time to do it but as long as I ask him he doesn't mind doing it. But now that he's in school and working he's more exhausted so I don't really bother him about it.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• it sounds to me like you have to make a choice of what's more important. Your relationshipand family or furthering your education.
    Anonymous

• I would like to add that I am going back to school to make more money for our family, since we need more income, and I'm the only one in the family that can do it. Also, our son is almost 2 so a little young yet for REAL chores.
    kryjen

Answer by kryjen at 2:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009