37 weeks pregnant and had light blood on tissue when wiped; no other bleeding

First let me say that this is probably going to be a little bit over board in the information department but I would appreciate it you would read it and help me if you can. I am 37 weeks pregnant; last night I had a terrible case of insomnia and couldn't get to sleep. After several hours of just laying there I eventually did sleep. When I woke up this morning and went to urinate I felt a sharp stabbing like pain while I was urinating that was in my upper abdomen and the pressure of urinating and emptying my bladder seemed to make the pain worse. When I wiped I noticed that the urine was a dark yellow color and that there was a good deal of bright pink and red blood on the tissue. I'm wondering if this is something that could just be because I am finally starting to dilate and efface even though my contractions including braxton hicks have all stopped, or since after wiping several times there was no more blood and hasn't been.

mothergibson

Asked by mothergibson at 1:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i am also 37 weeks and my doc told me that a little spotting and/or losing mucous plug is to be expected at this point but if I really start bleeding a lot to go in to the hospital. Sounds like you are just barely spotting so I think you're fine. His words were "if you have blood running down your legs that's when it's time to get to the hospital"...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• dark urine and pain when peeing mean infection you should get checked out asap .
    could the blood had been in your pee?
    even if it wasnt sounds liek it was just a little and well doestn matter how far along you are that is normal to have soem spotting .
    i really would go to the dr and get checked.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• it is probably just the mucous plug. If memory serves it's called "show". Looks like you are going to see your baby soon!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009