Breastfeeding?

I'm doing a research paper on the culture, politics and controversies surrounding breastfeeding and i was wondering (particularly in minorities) what is your reason for choosing to or not to breastfeed? and for how long if you did

ShaniAngel

Asked by ShaniAngel at 1:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never really considered formula as a first option. i've always looked at it as what i would do if i couldn't breastfeed. i guess i chose it because it was the easiest, most natural thing i could do. and i'm glad i did. i'd really hate to imagine all the work i'd have to do if i had gone with formula... no thanks.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 5:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• no one in my family has ever breast fed but i am and plan to up until she is a little over a year.she is 10months now.i choose to feed her that way so she will be healthier.its also great for mom too.i didnt know that there would be as strong of a bond.but i love it.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• **shrug** There was another way to feed a baby? **smile**

You might also drop by some of the breastfeeding and formula feeding groups...I think you'll get lots of answers that way.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• sometimes the choice is not left up to people. sometimes things happen. i really wanted to BF but my DD just wouldnt latch. at about 2 months i tried again. she would latch but not for long. i developed an infection in my uterus after my C-Section and i was put on medication making BF impossible. the reason i wanted to BF was cuz im a single mother and i wanted to feel the closeness with my DD and i wanted that close relationship.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• There is no other option for me. Breastfeeding was what I was going to do. It's the best form of nutrition for the baby, it's free, and the bonding is amazing. We nursed for 21 months, when she self weaned.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• free, perfect temp, no mixing or measuring, dont have to wash bottles, pack them either. going on 7 months now. THe beginning is hard but dont give up.
    YoungandExcited

Answer by YoungandExcited at 3:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I breastfed for 23 months (her decision to stop, not mine). Breast really is best. G-d equipped up with these miraculous breast to provide our babies with sustenance and the best chance in life.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'm not a minority, and I do not breast feed. I find that my bond with my daughter is stronger than anything, and don't honestly feel that bf'ing would have made it any stronger. I tried to BF, but found that both of us were happier after we switched to formula. I'm happy for those that can, but I just couldn't.
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I breastfed my son for 18 months when I got pregnant he stopped nursing. Then he started nursing again at about 20 months and we have been nursing ever since. He is now 27 months old and my new baby is 2 weeks and they are both nursing. I nurse because I want to provide the best nutrition for my baby. It is the best for baby.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I agree with nemiller...I never considered formula as a first option. There isn't any argument that breast is best and I think we all want to at least try to give our babies the best. I breastfed my first until she was 6 months and my supply started tapering off because I was working long hours at work. When I started supplementing my supply tapered off FAST. Knowing more now than I did the first time around I'm into month 4 with my second and we're doing great with the breastfeeding so I'm sure I'll be able to go at least through a year.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009