What are some tips you would give a first time mom?

I have posted a journal and asked around in a couple of my groups, but I need some more tips. Repeats are welcome so just post what you have! What I am looking for are some tips you would give a first time mom. My sister and two cousins will be first time moms by the end of this year, early next year and I want to put together a little book with tips for a first time mom. I need tips for a single mom, a dating mom, an adoptive mom, an engaged mom, a married mom, any kind of mom. Oh, and first time grandma tips would be welcome as well!! Thanks in advance and hope you all have a wonderful day!

shsteele05

Asked by shsteele05 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't be afraid to put the baby down for 5-10 minutes, even if he/she is crying, to take a break! If you are stressed the baby senses it, and gets upset. It's tough the first few weeks, but it does get easier!
    Anonymous

• I always like to use this poem:

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,

for babies grow up, I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep.

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."

(Ruth Hulbert Hamilton)

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Don't let unsolicited advice get to you, just nod your head and thank the person.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies these are great!
    shsteele05

Answer by shsteele05 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Prepare your child to live in the real world without you. Remember you teach by example & ask yourself "what is this teaching my child" for every step you take in parenting them.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Sleep when the baby sleeps.. Don't keep the house quiet when the baby's sleeping. Hold your baby as much as you want, you can't spoil a newborn!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Take care of your marriage or relationship. Dad might feel left out and you need to find time for him instead of ALWAYS concentrating on baby.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• IF YOU CAN DON'T MISS THE "FIRSTS" ENJOY THEM WHILE THEY ARE VERY YOUNG, ONCE THEY START TO SPEAK AND REBEL THE FUN IS OVER AND HARD WORKS BEGINS!

Answer by older at 2:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies. These are such great tips! Please keep them coming. If you have more than one post them!

Sandy
    shsteele05

Answer by shsteele05 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009