Solids strike?

I have heard of a nursing strike, although I've never experienced it with my son, but has your baby ever refused solids? For the past three days my 7month old that has been on solids for a month has refused to eat. I try different times of day, different foods, but he clamps his little lips shut and turns his head. Now, since he started, he has always eaten at least a little in the morning and usually a minimum of the equivalent of a small jar at dinner time. It seemed as if his appetite was really picking up and then all of a sudden "no" to baby food. He still seems to nurse with the same frequency but because it was out of character for him and I don't want him to start losing weight I took him to the Dr. yesterday. She said he's fine and is probably refusing solids because he's got some more teeth coming in. Has your baby ever done this? What did you do?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 1:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uh....he's 7months old....I do NOT want him to be off the boob. That's ridiculous. Breastmilk is his main source of nutrition until he is a year old, solids are a supplement. I'm not going to starve him from the breast to force him to eat solids which really don't have that much nutritional value at this point anyway. He has always refused a bottle and of course he's "attached", it's how he eats! He would be just as attached to a bottle if that were his main source of food. I do give him mashed "real" food. I'm sorry, but I find your answer ridiculous.......seriously...I don't mean to be rude but c'mon......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would keep him off the boob for a while, which is good anyways because you want him to be on a bottle, even if your breastfeeding just pump. He's attached and he won't switch unless you give it a rest for a while. This happened to my bestfriend, all he wanted was the boob so she took him off and just pumped and since he wasn't getting the boob he finally was eating. I'm not saying thats whats wrong with your son but I would try it, you want him to eat so try it and see how it goes. Maybe even try mashing up fruits instead of babyfood, that might work. Hopefully it works out!!
    Anonymous

• my dd went through that when she started cutting teeth. She just cut 2 new ones and hasnt been all about solids either and she is 10 mos. i wouldnt worry at all breast milk is going to be more than enough for a few days until he is feeling more up to it! good luck
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Wow anon, that information is very false. Where did you get your breastfeeding education? Similac?!

Solids strikes can happen when teething, or just something irritating them. I wouldn't push them on him. Solids are merely an afterthought for the first year. :) Good luck momma.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't worry and I definitely wouldn't withhold nursing. Your baby doesn't really need the solids and I don't think you need to be concerned about weightloss. I haven't seen this first-hand (not yet anyway) but my friend's son did this. He was a big boy, too, but around 10 months he went through a few weeks where he was exclusively breastfed! He didn't lose any weight, and then after that he only wanted table food, but he did start eating solids again. It could be the teeth or who knows what.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think that you need to understand the role of solid foods in the life of an infant. Until baby's first birthday, nutrition comes from breastmilk. Solids are offered for the experience of eating them. the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years. Keep offering bits of sweet potato, or whatever. Eventually he will regain interest. And one day he will be a teenager and eat more food than you can afford.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I was going to say teething.. until I read further...lol. Try one of those mesh feeder bags.. put in frozen banana chunks, frozen peaches, strawberries.. or other fruits he was eating. After gnawing on that.. he might be ready for some room temp. food. Good luck...
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 9:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He is definitely teething! He did eat some solids for dinner last night and then surprised me by eating a good portion of avocado and banana this morning. I completely understand that BM is his primary source of nutrition and solids are just a supplement. I was just concerned because he just suddenly lost interest. Poor guy, this morning he just has the most pitiful wimper and is gnawing on fingers like there's no tomorrow.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 1:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just a comment about quitting breast feeding, I breast fed my daughter for a very long time, longer than most people feel is necessary. I wouldn't change it if I had it to do again. She nursed exclusively until she was 11 months old, no food, nothing but breast milk. She never even had a bottle. I figured I would rather break her of nursing and not have to add the bottle in too. Granted at 11 months we started cutting back the feedings because we started putting in solid foods but she nursed until she was 3-1/2 and at that age it was the before bed feeding. Nursing is a bond that only mother and child can share and it is quite special.
    Sandy601

Answer by Sandy601 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2009