My 2 1/2 year old son is stubbron with potty training HELP

he knows what he is doing cuz I sit him on the potty and if i leave him their long enough 1/2 hr h wll get tired of fitting their and go potty. But if i don't leave hi their as soon as i get him off h will go and pott on him self then come and tell me what he did and laugh. i feel 1/2 hr to make him sit their is way to long. Iv tried the treats, We've jumped up and down and prasied him tell the sun comes up . He is so stubborn it is all on his terms help please

stacy24180

Asked by stacy24180 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• find something he really likes a make a reward system. My son just loves dollar bills, so at first everytime he went potty he got a dollar. Was I broke? Yup but he learned. Then after a few weeks he only earned a quarter for peeing and a dollar for pooping in the potty. Now he is 2 1/2 fully potty trained except at night or during naps (still has accidents in his sleep) does chores and gets an allowance.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• maybe he's not ready
    Anonymous

• I use to take bubbles into the bathroom with us. When i trained my kids we would only take bubbles in the bathroom as it passed time and kept their minds off of going potty, eventually they went. I think some kids just are so stressed as it's like "trying to perform" a natural act on command for mommy. they need to be relaxed and not stressed when you are trying to train them.

Also you can use a potty watch. You can set it for 30 mins or 90 mins and it has a little song that goes off telling your child when it's time to go potty. Here is the link: http://www.pottytimeinc.com/

There is a book called "once upon a potty" i loved reading that book, it's so cute!!!! LOL I do believe they have a video series too. Look up on youtube, potty videos, maybe you will find some there, i did that with my daughter who is now 4.
    good luck!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Instead of making him sit until he goes (because 1/2 hour IS way too long). put him in underwear and a shirt or no bottoms, keep the potty close by, and wait for a sign he needs to go (holding himself or, more likely, you start to see him have an accident). When he starts to go (or really looks like he's fighting to hold it in) move him to the potty then. Even if he started going in his pants/on the floor, still reward him (stickers or m & ms or something) if even a little makes it in the potty. Then he'll get that the potty is not a prison/time out place, but a place to go when you need to relieve yourself. It worked great for us...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Try cheerios or fruitloops or food coloring for aiming. He can aim to pee and the last two listed will swirl colors. That will make it fun for him and make him want to use the potty.
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My mother struggled to try to get my dd potty trained by 18 mos old... everything backfired, when dd was 'ready' she went all on her own, day and night and naps... She met a girl her age at daycare who was potty trained and somehow it set her in motion too. There is no point in trying to potty train when the child themselves are NOT ready... one of the things my aunt told me was all the kids she's known or have seen be potty trained early had always backfired, they go a good span going all the time then they begin their 'accident phases' like they never were to begin with.
    Anonymous

• He is just not ready. My daughter wore diapers until she was four. When she finally gave them up, she also learned to read and figured out how to tie her shoes (smart and lazy)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My mom said the only way I would potty train is when I went to day care and saw my friends do it then I wanted to and that was that. So maybe have him see a friend do it and it will help with the process. Good luck I am not looking forward to this step in my 18 month old sons life but i know it has to be done!!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009