Do you give your toddler an allowance?

My son has a wallet and loves being like dad. He loves money and paying for things. I have him doing small chores like feeding the dogs and picking up his toys every day. We have a chart and every night I check over his work with him and we put stickers on his chart. If at the end of the week he has done well he gets $3.00. Just wondering if I am doing the wrong thing he seems so young 2 1/2 to be getting allowance. But think he is learning the value of money and responsibility. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

ladyluck09

Asked by ladyluck09 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I plan to when my son is old enough to know how to put it in a piggy bank or somewhere. Maybe like a quarter a day for doing something nice.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We all get an allowance - me, my husband, and my daughter. For me and my husband, it's money we can spend however we want, on whatever we want. Everything else goes into the "household kitty" and any purchases out of that are agreed on. For my daughter, she gets $2 a week but it goes into a savings account. I haven't decided when to tell her about that account but it won't be until she is old enough to understand the concept of interest and to realize just how much more money she has in the account than what we actually gave her. For now, she gets pocket change and she likes to play with it.

My daughter also has a chore chart but it's just a sticker chart. Just as my husband and I contribute to the upkeep and running of the house, she is expected to help out too. She gets no extra money for it. In the future, I'll give her bonus money for volunteering for extra tasks though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think that a great idea and nothing is wrong with that. My son is also 2.5 and his chores is to make his bed every morning, help me clean out the dish washer when needed and help me put the clothes in the dryer and he vacuum mine and his room twice a week. That might seem like a lot for a 2 yr old but he loves it so I don't complain..lol! I give him $5 a week and when he turns 3 I will give him $10.
    Lisse_2006

Answer by Lisse_2006 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• No. I think about 5 I will give her an allowance. 2.5 is too young IMO.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If your son is capable of understanding the concepts of what you are teaching him then your are doing him something wonderful! From chores and allowance he is learning many things. Responsibility, work ethic, value of money, team work. I could go on. Point is, if he enjoys it and understands it, then keep up the good work Mama!
    MomtoDuck

Answer by MomtoDuck at 4:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't think that a child that age can grasp money. I am also concerned about the message it sends. My husband and I don't get paid for doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.. We live in our home and we are good roommates. We expect our daughter to be a good roommate and do chores because she lives here. My husband and I have jobs that do pay us for working; our daughter's job is going to school, so we reward her for getting good grades. In elementary school she was paid $5 for for each A, $2 for each B, 0 for each C, -2 for a D and -5 for an F. $20 bonus for straight As and $20 bonus for no checks (areas that need improvement, in her case not socializing in class).

Answer by rkoloms at 4:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• when they are older. not now. They are too young. They dont understand how much a $1 is.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it but I won't start that until my son is at least 3. .
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i dont like the idea of giving any kids money, but i think you are doing it right, getting him to do chores and getting money for it. and having a wallet like daddy is cute. just dont let him be demanding for money or just come to expect it
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• no, my DD doesn't, but she's only 16 months old.

I would probably make him (if I were you), put the money in a piggy bank of sorts, so he can learn to save his money.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2009