Borrowed books not returned in same condition... how would you deal?

I swear, I'm never loaning anyone a book ever again! My Twilight hardbacks were returned with Pen marks and broken bindings ($25+ books!), and just now I've received my JD Robb paperback books back - they stink of cigarette smoke, and the bindings, which were in near-perfect condition, are so cracked you can't even see the lettering!!

How would you deal with this situation? Would you ask these people to replace the books, or would you just keep quiet and resolve (like me) to never loan your books out again?

DevonieJules

Asked by DevonieJules at 2:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Entertainment

• I would let them know that you noticed the marks in the books as and let them know from here on out you will not be lending out your books and that you would like for them to replace the books they ruined. Its only fair and not letting people borrow them will not replace the ones they ruined. If they are true friends they wouldn't mind paying for this misdoings.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything but I would never loan them books again. I probably wouldn't loan any out to anyone. If these particular people wanted to borrow more books, I would polietly say no and explain that I've had books returned in horrible condition before and will no longer loan any out since others are not as careful with books as I am.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• That just makes me mad, on your behalf. I treasure books, and to have your nice books ruined just isn't right. I lent a book that was a gift from someone I knew at university to a friend who took it to the beach. The surf came up, and the friend grabbed her stuff and let the book get ruined! I was so mad. I never let her borrow any of my books after that. I suggest you do the same. If someone says they want to borrow one, be frank and say last time the book came back it was damaged so now you don't lend them at all. If that is too confrontational, you can keep it general "I found when I lend books they get damaged, so I don't lend now."

Answer by Bmat at 2:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• id not loan them out again, and prob make a smart ass comment to the people who did that
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• suggest they get them from the library from now on. I wouldn't lend my books out. They are as precious to me as my children!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• First, it would depend on what the condition was that they returned in.
    The second situation you described with your paperbacks I probably wouldnt say or do anything. Some people are just harder on books then others. Sure, they should have taken care since they were borrowing but imo it would have looked like that eventually if it was a book I enjoyed a lot or planned on lending often. kwim? Id feel the same if some of the page corners were turned over or had creases(like they were doggy eared for place saving).

Now, the one that was written in...Id ask what happened and go from there. Hopefully they offer to replace it. If not I(being a wuss) would probably just let them know it upset me and then never lend them squat again(no books, no nothing).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i have had this problem before. ive also let out books and theyve never been returned. i refuse to loan out anything anymore.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i prob. wouldnt say anything but i would not loan that person or prob anyone anything anymore
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I only lend my books to certain people. People I know will take care of them. There are about 3 people that I will borrow books to. There are books that I will give away after I read them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009