How did baby #1 react when you had baby #2? And how old was baby #1?

I have a 20 month old, and my husband and I have decided to try for baby #2... I just want to hear what others have gone through with their 2nd baby...

KeelinsMommy

Asked by KeelinsMommy at 6:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• My oldest was 2 years old when his little brother arrived. He never showed one minute of jealousy and he and his brother are best buddies to this day. They're 6 and 8 now. Before David was born, we took Connor shopping to pick something special out for him, he got him a little stuffed dog. When we brought David home from the hospital, we let Connor give him his gift, not that David had any clue. We also tried to let Connor "help" take care of David, bring me diapers, wash David's feet when we gave him a bath, things like that.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my son was 2 months away from being 8 when son #2 was born. he gets jealous at times. but my ex-husband and his new wife had a baby boy 10 days before i had my son, so he went from being the only child at both houses to having a baby brother at both houses within a matter of days. but he's taking it well. he likes to play with them and make them laugh. he gets excited when they do something new. i won't wait another 8 yrs to have the next one though. it was like being a first time mom all over again. i hope to have the next one b/t rylee's 2nd and 3rd b-day.
    mel808

Answer by mel808 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My oldest son was 6 years old when his foster sister (now adopted) came into our home. I was 3 months pregnant at that time with our daughter, Mara. So he went from being the only child to having two siblings within 6 months. There was some adjustment....a lot longer than I thought. He was acting out in school. If you do decide to have another baby, just make sure you schedule time in with your oldest before and after the baby is born. Also, buy a small gift from the baby to the big sibling. That helped quite a bit as well.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My daughter was 13 days away from turning two when her little brother arrived.She handled it very very well! She loved her little brother from the first moment she saw him. We never had any problems with jealousy or anything!

My son (baby#2) , however , did NOT handle it well when we brought home baby #3. Dylan was almost 4 . He completely ignored #3 for about 2 months. If me , or anyone else , was holding the new baby , we did not exist!If the new baby was in the room he would leave it. It was rough but a little after 2 months he came around and started taking an interest in the new baby - only if he thought no one was looking.

Now , at 6 months , he is the BEST big brother. He loves his baby Ethan and is his protector.
    Taerna

Answer by Taerna at 7:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• mine not too bad they are 15 mo. apart worse now that getting older are now 8 & 9
    ouromnifamily

Answer by ouromnifamily at 2:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i didn't want my kids that close in age because i remember being two and having my brother brought home and i hated him. children under the age of three are babies, in my opinion, and should be allowed to have their parents all to themselves. its much easier to explain to a child over three that a baby is a baby and he or she is a big kid. if your baby is 20 mos, i'd wait until he or she is at least 30 mos before trying for another. i have four bio kids who are 4.5, 2.5 and 6 years apart (now they are 27, 24, 21 and 14) and the biggest tensions and worst fighting was always between the middle two who are the most closely spaced.
    anniekelleher

Answer by anniekelleher at 1:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Hi, I goy preg with baby #2 when baby #1 was 21 months old. She was 3 1/2 when I gave birth to 2nd child. She was a great lil trooper. Had a lil bit of jealousy issues when we first came home, but after a few days she turned into a lil mommy, always wanting to help an wanting to take care of her lil bro. They are now 2 and 4 and she still does great with him!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2008