formula? lactose? reflux?

I am clueless. I have a 5 week old son. Who I was FT breastfeeding and is now about 25% breastfed and 75% formula. He is on Nestle Good Start Supreme Natural Cultures Formula. About every other bottle, he ends up spitting up half of it. He has gas a lot, and hiccups a ton too. Gas before and after feedings, belches so hard I think his insides are coming up, and has hiccups after all the above. I didnt know if this is normal, or if maybe hes lactose and needs soy formula or if he has reflux. I have no clue! Any help would be great!!!

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 2:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd has reflux ............i think he does to so take him to his pedi
    Anonymous

• Very likely it's the formula. Try a different one if that's what you want to do. Might be better to get more on the breast. IF you need help in doing that, please stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. It's not too late tillo you've had a double mastectomy!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Why don't you work on re-establishing your milk supply. Drink lots of water. Get brewers yeast tabs and fenugreek capsules (from a healthfood store). Offer baby the breast at least every hour, unless he is sleeping. Relax and have lots of skin to skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My 7 week old has this EXACT situation. Our pedi said to try adding little bits of rice cerea to her Gentle Ease formula. So I did but it olnly worked the one time I could even get it to come out the bottle, its too thick no matter what I do so I am looking for a good infant feeder but can't find one. I think she has reflux too but I am on Reglan so the dr said that should help when I do breastfeed, she'll get some and it should help with any reflux. I also got the Enfamil AR for spitters, it seems to work! Maybe you can try that.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• gdiamante-I know you probably didn't mean to offend anyone, but I had a breast reduction and 90% of my milk ducts were severed...so even though I didn't have a "double mastectomy", I still couldn't breastfeed.

Now back to the original poster: If you want to continue to the formula usage. maybe trying a different type would help. My daughter did very well on enfamil genltease. Going FT with breast feeding is entirely up to you.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• adding cereal to a bottle is not recommended it is a choking hazzard. the enfamil ar does have the cereal added but it's so fine that it still will come out of a nipple.
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 4:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well my DOCTOR reccomended it so don't know what to tell ya. He said to make it thin but it still doesn't fit that is why I was going to use the infant feeders which are designed for that purpose.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My DD is FF and she had severe reflux. After every bottle she would projectile vomit about 3-4 feet. It looked like a stream from a hose. She was also very gassy. We put her on soy formula, burped her after EVERY ounce, and the ped prescribed her two meds to take. She took the meds for a month and she got better. I would take your LO to the ped and see what they say. Make a chart of the times you feed and how much (or how long if your BF). Do that for a few days prior to the appt. Mark down if he spits up and an estimate of how much. You might consider either completely BF or completely FF. Good Luck to you and your LO!!
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Putting cereal in a bottle is often suggested by doctors to deal with reflux. It's not unusual at all.
    Anonymous

• I always said my son had 8 oz eyes and 6 oz stomach burping more often helps. try smaller amounts and more frequent. always ask your DR our baby has terrible acid reflux and spiting up is one of the symptoms. screaming bloody murder when you lay her down is! lol now she is on meds and it has helped alot. good luck
    Anonymous